June 6, 2006

THE BIRDS

Birds are lovely little creatures. I love it when I spot a bird’s nest – the kind made with grass, weeds, bailing twine, horse hair…you know - normal nest stuff! The little babies are so very cute … but I somehow have this horrible disliking of birds in general. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that about once a week for 2 months straight during our first year in this house there were birds flying around in our basement – perching and pooping on EVERYTHING….or it could have something to do with the “pecking” noise that comes from my wood stove every spring – and Ian tells me to just open the front door and then open the wood stove and the bird will fly right out… I think not – right Bryn?!. These birds “dive bomb” you as soon as you walk out the door and Ian refers to the sight as today’s version of “Pearl Harbor.”
The truth is…my life has turned into the movie “The Birds.” Have any of you seen that horrible show – well, it’s currently being filmed at our home – featuring the bird known as the Mud/Barn Swallow. I would be thrilled if they actually chose the barns that surround our house to build their muddy, messy, ugly homes on… but, NO… they choose our eaves (EVERY SINGLE ONE – and we have a lot!) to build their MUD nests on.
Now, some of you may be saying: “oh Lindsay, you’re being a little dramatic don’t you think?” or “They’re just birds!” or “They can’t be that bad?!.”
Well folks… it IS that BAD!!

We’ve tried everything!

We’ve hung netting, we’ve hung owls, Ian even reached the maximum frustration level and got out his shotgun – what a sight that was! You name it, we’ve tried it! We’ve all taken turns “knocking” the nests down – Thanks Angela for trying – but they’re back … worse than ever! The windows and house are pressured washed A LOT– so I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m just going to have to live with the bird poop and mud all over the windows until this nesting season is over… hopefully that is sometime soon!

Today, this morning, this minute in my life…there is NOTHING worse than Mud Swallows!

If you still think I'm over exaggerating - check these fine photos out and feel free to click on them to get a more "up close & personal" look:


















Other happenings at the Windy M :
Fall calves have been shipped and sold,
last day of school (with kids) is TODAY...
and my 2nd annual 29th birthday is Thursday…
holy cow – I’m going to be 30!!



5 comments:

Kristie said...

Holy Cow Lindsay! I can't believe how many nests are on your house! I have to say that I totally understand your issue with the birds...I had a tree removed from our yard simply because I could stand all the bird poop on my cars and my house! I love all God's creatures, but some days I don't like birds very much either!

Shannon said...

um, yuck!

Anonymous said...

Well, I would like to feel sorry for you, but today ( for the second time in the year we have lived here ) there was a SNAKE IN OUR HOUSE. So, I say... Deal with it, it could be worse! :)
Maybe I could send our snake over there to eat your birds?
:)
It was nice to see ya today.
Have a good summer!

Anonymous said...

By the way, I forgot to say Happy Birthday!

Brenna said...

A colony by the looks of the pictures! golly.:(
Happy Birthday! (You only get old once)no,no how can it be a bad thing? The older you get the more you already have done,and know!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin