December 24, 2010

a favorite ... to read again.

Re posted from 12.24.06

Things don’t always go the way I think they should.

In fact, most of the time, things turn out completely opposite of what seems to be normal in the lives of everyone else I know. There always, always, always seems to be “something” that happens that turns our world upside down!


Here is our version of the famous Christmas story shared by young and old during the holiday season:


‘Twas the Night Before Christmas,
When all through the house…
EVERY creature was stirring – yes, even a mouse!
The cows were fed hay and bedded down in straw,
The water troughs were filled as the hose unthawed.
Mason helped his mom drive as his daddy fed,
Keeping warm and cozy with his hat on his head.
We hustled and bustled to the get the chores done,
So we could go celebrate the birth of God’s son.
Dressed in our finest – ready to go,
We headed out the door- which way should we go?
Our stomachs were empty, our emotions a mess
Mason was screaming and I thought “my goodness.”
I started the truck and put it into reverse,
Not seeing the gator, Ian shouted a curse.
He threw the water bottle straight at me of course,
Scaring me to death as it hit the window with force.
I still didn’t know what I had done,
And assumed that my husband was just not having fun.
As he moved the gator from behind the back wheel,
Tears fell from my eyes – this was not part of the deal!
I didn’t mean to be careless – and cause him this stress.
This magical evening was turning into one big mess.
We didn’t make it to church – just couldn’t get it done.
I headed for McDonald's – on a great dinner run!
McDonald's you say? For Christmas Eve dinner?
I know – not the traditional meal – but definitely a winner!
I was tired, emotional and completely drained.
The magic was gone.
Dinner had to help the pain.
I ordered some burgers, nuggets & fries,
Two orange sodas and a surprise.
As I headed home, feeling my spirits lifted high,
I turned onto the freeway and before I could stop it - the surprise was dry!
The eggnog shake had fallen to the floor,
And onto the running board as I opened the door.
Why God – why tonight? Why this chaos on this magical night?
I arrived at home with McDonald's in hand,
Finding my husband in the kitchen with meat cooking in a pan.
McDonald's? He asks… on Christmas Eve night?
Well – I guess that fondue just isn’t right!
You’ve gone all out for this magical meal – and why are the dogs licking the wheels?
I reply with a smile, and a hand full of fries,
Merry Christmas to all… and to all a good night!

............................................

The moral of the story is:

Life could be perfect – but it isn’t.
Life could be just the way we want it to be – but is that what we really want?
Life is real – and if it wasn’t - what would there be to write about?
I wish that I could’ve said that the evening was magical.
I wish that I could’ve told you that the chores were done on time.
I wish that I could’ve ranted and raved about the wonderful meal I prepared for my family.
I wish that I could’ve told you about the wonderful Christmas Eve service we attended.
Instead – I shared truth… REAL, LIVE, UNEDITED TRUTH!


Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness & Self-Control wished and prayed for all of you as we approach another year to really live life!

.............................

and as for Christmas Eve 2010 ...

dinner was perfect {clam chowder & bread} and actually enjoyed.

we attended a beautiful candlelight service with Papa George and Mimzy in Pendleton. {Mack slept through the entire thing}

Ian drove us all around town to see all the lights.

we had {delicious} root beer floats when we got home.

... and we ate birthday cake for Jesus ... with a gazillion candles.

.............................

Merry Christmas friends and family!

May you be blessed on this wonderful eve ... as well as tomorrow ... no matter how your {story} has gone or will go ...

and may you feel His presence in the midst of the chaos, or quiet, or hurt, or joy, or even the struggles you may be experiencing during this magical season.

He was born for you ... and because of that ...  you're not alone.

2 comments:

Sweet Blessings said...

Just LOVE you and your REAL family living a REAL life :) Hope your day was just right all the way around! Sweet blessings!

Kerry said...

You said it ...... We are NOT alone!
Happy Birthday Jesus ...... thank you for being a GREAT GOD amidst the "chaos" in life!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin