December 1, 2012

what they'll probably remember.

Dear Kirsten,

I was thinking back the other day - trying to "remember" the most important pieces of Thanksgiving as a child - wishing I could remember more than I actually do.

What I do remember though is that Thanksgiving was {full} - in so many, many ways.


I remember cousins, and kids tables, and lots of pickles and olives.


I remember sparkling cider and homemade rolls.


I remember place cards, and the turquoise counter tops filled to the brim.


I remember napkin folding, special dishes, and not wanting gravy on my potatoes.


I remember dress up in the basement, and old records played.


I remember hugs and kisses from all the Grandmas, and playing Carroms with a cane.



I remember praying in song with hands held tight in awe of how much He really does love us.


I remember the windows getting foggy and the room being full.


I remember jello salad, butter knives, and not liking sweet pickles at all.


I remember pumpkin pie and whipped cream.


I remember post-meal walks along Alki, and the time you flipped over the car.


I remember dad and Uncle Terry almost always carving the turkey, and Papa telling us to turn off the TV.


I remember feeling loved and treasured and special.


And I don't ever remember feeling like I didn't belong.

Thank you for giving my children the same memories!

I hope we have Thanksgiving at your house every year from now until that moment when Christ returns because what our kids will probably remember is similar to what we remember too.  And really, who would want to remember anything better than that?

With appreciation for the traditions we're starting & the memories our children are making together ~

your sister & biggest fan - Lindsay

3 comments:

Kerry said...

Oh, Lindsay ...... so, so beautifully written and the pictures with a story of their own.
Here's to MANY more memories made ..... until Christ returns for us!

Tiffany said...

Love Central Oregon as well. Definitely call it "home" too. :o)

Sweet Blessings said...

What a sweet, sweet gift you are giving your kids!!! Sweet blessings!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin