Dear Mason,
There are these moments in the life of your children that you hope you never forget. Moments like first smiles, first steps, first words, first swim lesson, first day of school, pretty much the first time of everything.
Today held one of those moments in the life of you.
I stood at the kitchen window and watched the tractor come toward me expecting to see your dad, but instead saw you.
You.
My 8 year old ... with your hands on the wheel, and your eyes straight ahead. Your dad watched and guided, and you drove. There was no, {I'm sitting right next to you if you mess up} kind of security and you were totally fine with it. Me, on the other hand ... I was a wreck.
How can you be old enough to drive a tractor?
How can you be brave enough to even attempt such a thing?
How can this moment of you being something more than my little boy wishing to be big enough to help be happening?
Tonight at the dinner table we were talking about the 3 gifts for the day. Today's prompt was gifts sitting. Your dad laughed out loud and announced he hadn't sat today, so it was kind of pointless to even list ... but then saw my glance around the table and at the piles of food and then said, "Well, dinner sure is good and I guess I'm sitting." {nice save}
You were quiet, and then looked at me with these eyes filled with glistening pride and asked, "Does sitting on a tractor count ... like when you're driving a tractor?"
My eyes welled with tears.
"Yes son, that counts."
May you always count sitting behind the wheel of a tractor as a gift.
4 comments:
What a proud moment. Mostly for Mason, but for you and Ian, too, with pride that you're raising your boys to be responsible, contributing members of your life.
Oh my ..... so choked up ..... proud of your response, Lindsay.... pointing it out as a "gift" :-)
I LOVE that boy ... soon enough a man!
YAY Mason! What a gift he is to you all, and what a gift of great parenting you give to him. Tell him congrats on the new tractor driving skill from us. :)
Such a milestone in a boy's life! Your son has good parents to encourage his independence and develop his skills.
I remember the first time our son went out with the swather to cut a field of hay. I spent more time going to the field, checking in, than anything else that day (before cellphones). I see so many reminders of our kids in your boys :)
And I love all the posts you've done lately! So nice to catch up with you!
Post a Comment