February 1, 2014
when the best option is to jump.
I've never been a huge fan of trampolines. There is something about the lack of control one has when others are jumping next to them that just puts knots in my stomach. Maybe because when I was about 22 years old, I found myself with an ankle swollen to three times the normal size after a fun "jump off" with my friend Chad, and walked around in an air cast for weeks. Yes, I'm pretty certain that absolutely has something to do with it.
My boys would love it if the whole world was a giant trampoline. They would run and jump everywhere - flipping, twisting, turning, and casting all their trust in the rebound ... knowing and believing that with each bounce, the momentum won't stop ... the adrenaline will keep them going ... and they'll always bounce back.
Something happens when we "grow up" that takes the trust right out of the jump. We quit doing it. We quit jumping like we should, which means we quit trusting like we should too. Notice all of the "grown ups" just watching? {yes, I was one of the watchers too} Why do we reach this place where we are afraid to jump?
I questioned why I hadn't brought my sweats that day in my mind. And then I laughed to myself just picturing what it would look like jumping with my boys while all the other "watchers" watched this mama absolutely make a fool out of herself. I can't jump worth a darn any more. In fact, I'd be out of breath before I could even get out of the first pit - I'm sure of it.
The point is, I shouldn't be afraid to jump. I may not be young anymore and physically capable of bouncing from one surface to another with ease, but there are a lot of areas in my life where "jumping" should be the only option - the only option for really learning what it feels like to fly.
The next time I find myself watching from the sidelines, I'm going to grab a pen or my phone and start typing away. I'm going to start writing down where I need to be more bold and brave. I'm going to type the names of those people I want to have a "jump off" contest with. And I'm going to ask myself where I'm supposed to be jumping to and get it down in print.
There's nothing worse than just watching and not doing anything about it. Jump.
Jump and soar your way through those places where you feel like you're sinking.
Bound after those dreams you've had hidden away because they seemed too silly to catch.
Glide into a new place - where you say {I trust in YOU} because I know You've got me and You already know where I'm going to land.
And before you know it, you'll be jumping ... and you'll have a whole bunch of people jumping with you.
And you'll never be afraid to have a {jump off} again, because you know that you'll win.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I can picture you right there in the mix.... it looks like too much fun to miss!!
LOVE THIS!!
Post a Comment