August 1, 2008

Expectations.

With each and every thing I do, I have expectations. Sometimes the expectations are too high ... and sometimes they're too low. This photography class I just finished met every expectation I had and more. It had sincerity, honesty, humor, advice, and as I read through the lessons and assignments, I was challenged to not only be a better photographer, but a better person as well. I found myself taking my camera and my "comfort zone" to new places. I got frustrated, I got excited, and I now feel like I can confidently say "I know how to do that!" I still have so much to learn, and I'm definitely not a professional, but I am a woman who just finished 10 weeks following her heart and am excited to continue to learn about this amazing way to capture so many, many things for the rest of my life.

I'm a teacher ... which means I'm a life-long learner ... which means that each and every day, I look for, seek out, and jump at the chance to learn something new. There are definitely days when it's easier to just sit and watch, and there are some days when I'd like to fast-forward to see if I really did apply what I learned in the future... but truly I love, love, love to learn.

I walked around my yard, the garden, the orchard, and our road last night after Mack fell asleep and found myself totally and completely in awe of the beauty I have right at my fingertips. Some of us may not have the prettiest house, or the most up-to-date clothing, or a manicured yard, or spot-free carpet, but we do ... each and every one of us ... we all have life. We have this opportunity in front of us each and every day & what do we do? Do we complain? Do we compare? Do we wish for that which we don't have thinking it would make life better? Do we take what we have and make it our own? Do we get excited that the sun is shining? Do we look for opportunities to enjoy the beauty of our life?

The last lesson of my photography class was posted early this morning. I found myself wiping away tear after tear as I scrolled from the first page to the last. It was real. It was all about the reasons I take photographs, journal, and blog as much and as often as I can. It was about documenting life {and all it brings with it}. I may be done with the class, but the class is not done with me.

I know that I've said this before, but I'm going to say it again... I blog & take thousands of pictures & spend as much time as I can doing what I love because one day this life that I know and love will come to an end & a better one will begin. There will be a day when my family will look back at the 570+ posts and remember this life that we were blessed enough to call ours was always an adventure {through good times and bad}... and they will smile. They will laugh, they will cry & they may even question, but they will see that life itself is what matters most. We don't have the finest clothes, or the spot-free carpet, or the dream vacations that others do, but we do have life. We have a GREAT life! A great, blessed, wonderful life that is worth documenting each and every second of.

Thank you Karen. Thank you for helping me see who I am & the GREAT life I live... from behind my camera.


** photos all taken last night between 7:45 and 8:30 p.m. pst **

8 comments:

Becky said...

Way to go Lindsay! You DO have a great, blessed, happy life. I am glad to have a friend that appreciates what she has, and shares it openly. Keep pushing, and we will be here cheering you on.

Anonymous said...

smiling.

True words - from a truely inspiring person!

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

cool!!!
now you have time to post even more awesome photos?!?! right?!?!
I look forward to every post! I like them all but especially the ones with pics!!! *smile*

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

I also liked what you said about...we may not have.....BUT we do have.....
I might have to do that in a post in a list form....hmmmm...good idea!

Nicole said...

What an awesome post yet again. Thank you for reminding me to look at the things we do have and to count everyone as a blessing. I need to be reminded of that from time to time.

Kerry said...

I'm so glad you took the photography class ...... you'll be the one teaching it before long!
What a gift God has given you!!!!

Anne said...

What a great post for me to read before I head to my first reunion event. I vow to come home not feeling any less about my wonderfully blessed life.

Amy Tolar said...

Wonderful, wonderful post, inspiring words,and great lessons to learn.

Thank you, once again, for helping to "ground" my ideas and help me be thankful for what I take for granted.

Hugs, Friend.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin