April 1, 2009

{going with it}



I drove with the pickup with the stock trailer attached on Monday.

Had no choice.

Wish I would have taken pictures of the road.

Narrow. {understatement}

Full of ruts from the dried mud.

Next to the edge of the canyon.

Not fun.

Had no choice.

Prayed silently the entire 10 minutes.

DID IT!

...............................................................

There are times when I watch my husband work his {magic} in awe.

Sometimes I look on in frustration.

Sometimes I wish I could magically gain some super-human strength to be able to help him.

Sometimes I just take pictures and pray.

{I think I'm best at taking pictures and praying}

................................................................

Having animals totally and completely alters what happens on any given day.

You try to establish a normal routine, but things happen, and routine gets thrown out the window.

every. single. day.

And no matter how {prepared} you are for what is coming next. You're not.

Things happen that are out of your control.

Things like...

Calves are born.
Cows have foot-rot.
Bulls break down fences.
Loaders won't start.
Hay is stolen.
Feeders get flipped on their side.
Hips are broken.
Pick-ups get stuck.
Cows get in the way.
The wind blows 50 mph.
Chains break.
The vet is called.

just to name a few.

This {ranch} life that some may view as intriguing, magical, rewarding, adventurous can be those things ... but most of the time, it's HARD.

..........................................................

I came home from school on Monday - the first day back after spring break ... the third day of feeling {well} and full of energy - to be greeted by my husband in need of my help. I did my best to smile as we drove to the ranch. What I really wanted to do was sit down, put my feet up for at least 15 minutes and snuggle with my boys on our couch, in our warm house.

What he thought to be about a 2 hour trip turned into a whole lot more. It always is.

All I could do was watch, pray & think of creative ways to keep the boys entertained inside of the pick-up in the middle of miles and miles of range ground surrounded by cows ... and quite a few {horny} bulls.

Yep. Horny bulls.

They just got put out with our lovely ladies on Friday night ... and they've been busy.

Busy doing some serious damage to one cow in particular.

She and her sweet baby ... they were the reason that {routine} was non-existent once again ...

and my own {Dr. Do-Little} was trying so very hard to help her, but nothing went right.

..............................................................











.....................................................

Nothing went right with the cow ... but we did get the calf, we did get the trailer pulled out of the muck, we did sing songs and play like crazy inside the pickup, we did watch the colors of the day turn beautiful shades of orange and red, we did shout at the many on-lookers who were concerned for their friend, we did open and close gates, and even though we weren't at home - on the couch, we were together.

Sometimes, even when it feels like nothing is going right ... it really is.

Not that things went at all as planned, or that our poor cow got up - because she didn't, but things were just {right}.

The routine I wish for about 4 times a week, well, I'm beginning to realize that being able to {go with it} at any given moment ... that's what our life is.

That's what we're good at. All of us.

Routine or no routine, it's the life we live and probably always will.



9 comments:

Sweet Blessings said...

You captured on paper perfectly the "true-ness" of this life :D And, it's all those "GOOD" days that make the "OFF" days worth it! May today be filled with LOTS of GOOD moments and His Sweet blessings!

P.S. I Love the pictures captured through the side mirrors :D

Darcy said...

Sorry about the cow...hopefully she is up and going. But I loved your post...so true. And you guys are so good at what you do...all of you!

Katarina said...

Thanks so much for sharing a glimpse of your life. You do have a routine....it's just not always the same...Your routine is that you go with it, where ever it happens to take you.
It great that your boys can see the 'flexible' side of life, to know that things don't always go as we planned them to. You are teaching them some wonderful life lessons as you 'go with it' and leave routine behind.

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

I don't even know why but I have tears. It was the part about ... but we are together.

Nicole said...

Lindsay sorry to hear about your cow. I hope everything is ok now. I'm glad you got to spend some fun time with your boys.

shara said...

yes, i would say the grass does look greener on the other side. i at times envy your "country" lifestyle... but now that i've read your post, i think i will stick to living in the city! :) glad you were able to spend the evening though with your family, all be it in the cab of a truck. hope that you have a non eventful evening tonight and get to snuggle on the couch and enjoy your surroundings and those around you. thanks for your post everyday, they bring me insight, joy, laughter, respect, humor and humility. your awesome! the world is a better place because of people like you! :)

Shannon said...

Love that last picture of you! So cute.

and Im totally curious about poor mama cow. Dang Bulls!

Tanya said...

Sounds like a day!! So glad you are feeling better and that even though your day didn't end the way you planned, I am glad you got some time with your family playing in the truck. The pictures are a lot of fun. Love the one of you. Those bulls are something aren't they??? So glad your boys do so well, and just "go with the flow."

Kerry said...

Great, Great shots!!!!
The lessons Mason and Mack are learning are invaluable ...... take life as it comes, and make the most of it! Keep smiling Sweetie! :-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin