January 27, 2010

New carpet.

It’s quiet this morning.

Soft snores from the other room are comforting as I sit and read.

The dryer spins as the jeans and sweatshirts gain warmth.

A busy day lies ahead.

No fun trips, no exotic destinations … not a day to sit and just read the day away … and yet extraordinary in its own way.

We’ve had carpet for a little over 1 week now, and as I walked from the kitchen in the darkness and stepped into the hallway, I couldn’t help but let my feet stop and just soak in the warmth.

The tightly woven carpet, with flecks of color isn’t necessarily soft to the touch, or top of the line, but there is warmth.

Warmth in knowing that this carpet matches our lifestyle.

Warmth in knowing that it’s ours.

Warmth in knowing that its durability will sustain the wind and dirt, the mud and rain, and the boots that touch it each day.

I stood there, in the darkness, and I smiled.

Darkness.

…………………………………………………………

The page was ear-marked in the book I continue to read regardless if others are or not … or if we’ve squeezed in time to meet or not. The book still connects me to them and to HIM.

My eyes scanned the page for the definition.

And then I found it.

Faith.

‘One step at a time on a dark path.’

Isaiah 50:10

‘Who walks in the darkness and has no light? Let him trust in the name of the Lord and rely upon his God.’

Sight says, “I see that it’s good for me, so God must have sent it.”

But faith says, “God sent it, so it must be good for me.”

……………………………………………………………

Not everything that is good for us, feels lush and soft.

In fact, rarely do the things we need most come wrapped in the finest of paper or with the prettiest of bows. They’re plain and ordinary to many, their beauty hidden to the world that seeks only the best.

The best.

Is there really such a thing?

We want it.

Or at least we think we do.

But do we really know what it is?

……………………………………………………………

My carpet taught me something this morning.

It taught me that in the darkness, when I stop and listen and feel … {the best} is right there.

And it may not be what the world says is the best.

And it may not be what others think is best.

And it may not win an award on television.

But {best} isn’t about comparing.

It’s not about out-doing.

It’s not about one-upping.

It’s not about keeping score.

…………………………………………………………………

I like to be good at what I do.

Who doesn’t?

But when I think about the word {best} … I’m definitely a work in progress.

……………………………………………………………………

And just because I’m curious … would you do me a favor?
Go do the survey I posted earlier today! Thanks!

6 comments:

ShelliGib said...

Yay! I took the survey! I like this post. I've lived in two houses now that have no carpet anywhere. I long for that warmth under my toes in the morning -- but slippers will have to do in this house! Happy Wednesday Friend!

Kerry said...

It's the little things that make such a difference ...... stepping on carpet is definitely a +
I love the way God gives you inspiration in the everyday kind of way ...... your listening heart is so in tune with life!
#126 Murdock is sure a cutie!

Sweet Blessings said...

My sweet friend...you never stop amazing me...what a great, thought-provoking post! I LOVE how you connected your new carpet to life! And, most of all I LOVE that you are listening when God is whispering! Happy Thursday sweet girl....may it be filled with warmth! Sweet blessings!

Farmchick said...

Yet another wonderful post! :) I just took your survey..... Thanks again for such an awesome thought provoking post!

shara said...

i was all excited to take your survey that i forgot to leave a comment on this wonderful post! thank you for your inspiring words. your post typically move me to emotions i don't always like to have {darn you}! thank you for being a bright spot in my daily life thru your amazing blog. you are such a gift~ thank you!

Kristie said...

all good gift come from the LORD; if only we would take the time to see them and appreciate how many he has truly given us in our every day lives.....

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin