February 23, 2012

bull sale day

February 23, 2012

Dear students in room 1,

There is a piece of my life that not many of you will ever experience.  You spend 6+ hours a day with me and are like my own children, but most of you will never know anything about my life on the ranch.  My door opens at 7:55 {7:45 on a good day} and you know you’re about to learn something new, but there is not one of you that knows or even thinks about what has already happened in the life of me before I  opened the door and welcomed you to another day in our classroom.   

You live in town, in a neighborhood, surrounded by the hustle and bustle of a growing city and are just happy that your bus ride got you to school safely. I live in the country, where the nearest neighbor is a mile away and I fall asleep listening to coyotes howl at least one night a week.  Each morning, I do a few chores, make a few beds and a couple of lunches, drive 25 miles, and manage to arrive on time almost every day. 

I took the day off today.  I told you I would be gone, but I didn’t tell you why.  My {personal day} was spent listening to a team of auctioneers sell hundreds of bulls – 15 of those ours – and watching others that live a similar lifestyle do the same thing.  Sit, watch, contemplate, listen, bid occasionally, eat a delicious meal, pray you bought the right one or three or four, visit with friends and neighbors, and then write a check.  It’s one day a year - where money matters, genetics matter, and your reputation matters. 

No one called me Mrs. Murdock once.  I was Ian’s wife, and part owner of Ian Murdock Cattle. I walked around with my camera capturing strangers at an event that holds so much promise in so many different ways in my life away from room 1.  Promise for a means to pay a bill or two.  Promise to build an even stronger herd.  Promise for a future filled with hope, patience, and trust.

I am a teacher because I love teaching.  God’s given me the ability to connect with others well – especially children.  I know I make a difference in the life of you – just like you make a difference in the life of me.  I am split between 2 wonderful, time-consuming lives - the life of a teacher and the life of a ranch wife.  Keeping the two balanced is challenging, but rewarding too.

Thank you for doing your best for the substitute today.  I know she’s not me, but for me to be the best Mrs. Murdock I can be, I needed to be gone today.  I needed to be the best ranch wife I could be – smiling, camera in hand, and cheerleader of the most important man in my life.  I wouldn’t be Mrs. Murdock without him and I wouldn’t have a sign in my kitchen that reads:  “Behind every successful rancher is a wife who works in town.”

Your dedicated teacher {and so much more},

Mrs. Murdock













No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin