December 2, 2012
Merry Meadows.
Dear Bama,
We were a day late bringing you your Christmas tree, but then again, it was probably perfect timing. You used to call those moments when things happen at just the right time & a just the right place "God Winks."
Did you know they happen all the stinkin' time?! {grin}
My cousin Alycia got married on December 1st this year and we found ourselves in Winlock celebrating a new life together, but also remembering a life well lived just across the freeway. A life well-lived by you.
It was cold & a bit breezy on the morning of the 2nd, but the rain held off just long enough for us to bring you a Christmas tree and pose for a few pictures. You know how much Ian & the boys love posing for pictures. Anyway, I just kept whispering to myself that they'd thank me later. I think you were whispering too. And one month later, they're thanking me for taking these pictures. Go figure.
It looked as though someone else had been thinking of you too, as all of the Murdock and Olson headstones were decorated for Christmas. Breathtaking and beautiful - just like you!
Your body was laid to rest there in Toledo, but your spirit still lives on. In fact, when we pulled up to the house at Merry Meadows, it was as if you were still there. The American flag waving proudly and the porch beckoning visitors. I was just waiting for you to peek out the window with a "hello Murdocks" - but the wind whistled a tune instead.
A tune that lead us to the trees.
A song that gave us a chance to bring you home with us for Christmas.
A melody that had your voice humming a joyful noise.
.................
And then Mason found a baseball & it changed to "take me out to the ball game" ... which I know you would have sang right along with!
In fact, you probably would have offered to be his catcher. You were good like that.
Your home is still peaceful and beautiful and totally you.
The trees are alive and growing - radiating so many shades of green.
The rain is still falling, and the light catches glimpses of glorious drops on each bow and needle.
Thank you for giving us 3 perfect trees this year.
Ian thinks they were the last "good ones" left.
And I'm certain you were beaming with pride when he made two phone calls to say: I'm bringing you a tree from Papa & Bama.
Yes. I'm absolutely positive you were singing and dancing as we cut and loaded 3 little pieces of you and took them home to spend Christmas with us.
With love for who you were & thankfulness for the spirit of you that lives on in & through us ~
One who carries your name with pride,
Lindsay
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Merry Christmas to you and yours, Lindsey! May God's love and light shine through your heart and all the days of 2013. I know He has amazing times planned for you - His opportunities are more than we can imagine! Thanks for writing and posting on your blog. ((( HUGS )))
Blogger and I are having issues! It posted my comment 4 times so I deleted them. Sorry to mess up your blog!
No worries! You just filled my inbox with love!
LOVE captured in your words and pictures...and I'm pretty sure that whole weekend was filled with God winks :) Sweet blessings!
Beautiful! Such wonderful memories of some special people!
Post a Comment