August 18, 2013

Dear Mrs. Bacon

Dear Mrs. Bacon,

My son is about to spend approximately 147 days in your classroom - starting tomorrow.


147 days of opportunity - to succeed and even to fail.

147 days of learning, reading, writing - becoming the young man he's supposed to be.

147 days of getting at least one thing wrong, but hopefully at least 38 things right.

147 days of being a watcher, and then a doer.

147 days of holding his pencil with his left hand as he attempts to share his life on paper about our small ranch, his horse, the cows, his brother, his dad, and maybe even me with you.

147 days of stammering on words that begin with {w} and trying to make himself slow down enough to get his ideas out with a bit of embarrassment.

147 days of loving you, his friends, and everything else about school, but loving farm life & chores even more.

147 days of being a big brother at school and not just at home.

147 days of not being the fastest with math facts, but spelling everything in sight correctly.

147 days of his life - starting tomorrow - are going to be with you.




......................................

So as you lie awake tonight thinking about all of those things that should and could, and probably will happen on the first day of school, please know that I'm giving you one of the best gifts I have to offer.

I'm giving you a  piece of me.

A piece of me that has a stubborn streak, a compassionate heart, and a competitive nature.

A piece of me that doesn't like to be wrong, and doesn't always take criticism well.

A piece of me that loves peanut butter sandwiches, cantaloupe, and red licorice.

A piece of me that is admired by many, and entrusted with much.

A piece of me that will make the next 147 days some of the best days of your life.

..............................................

I trust in you with all that I have - knowing that you are going to give my son 147 days of the best you have to offer.

I believe in you with all that I am - knowing that your expectations are high and your heart is open to love him for who he is.

And I'm thanking you now - for the next 147 school days - because you are going to be my son's teacher.  You will be spending more {awake} hours in the day with him than I will - and I know with all my heart that you are going to help him to see the gifts in the ordinary while making his world - and yours - something extraordinary.



With appreciation for all that 3rd grade is about,

Mason's mom ... one of your biggest fans!

6 comments:

Tanya Moore said...

Lindsay, this blog made me cry a little. The teacher is blessed to get a piece of you & lots of that sweet boy whom she is going to love & enjoy & who will learn a lot I'm sure and give his best. I loved your pictures of him & the writing too. Thanks so much. Enjoy your school year. Love you.

Mrs. Bacon said...

Ok you're not suppose to make me cry! I absolutely love this with all my heart and could feel it getting warmer and bigger with each and every word. I am honored to be a part of your son's life and will cherish it as if he were my own. Thank you for trusting me to be his teacher and I promise to push him to his limits and only except his very best! Love you guys to pieces!

Renegades said...

Good luck with the new school year, ours starts tomorrow too.

Crystal said...

What a great post - you had me in tears too! I think I loved this so much because for more than 12 years I taught grade 3. It's the best grade ever :) I pray that this year is filled with great adventures in learning for all of you. And I hope that you will find a little time to continue blogging so we can hear all about the days!

Sweet Blessings said...

What a sweet, sweet gift to Mason's teacher, to Mason one day and to all those who are reading along! Love you~ And, cheering your whole family forward as school begins and life journeys into a new season! Sweet blessings!

KayDee said...

Love,Love this and might even steal the idea for Eli's teacher (best form of flattery you know, idea stealing :)
Good to see you back in the blogsphere, my friend. Counting my blessings that I'll get to see you in person, next Tuesday evening!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin