There was this time in my life when I'm certain the only reason I knew what a branding iron was, was because of one of the various westerns my sister and I would watch on Saturday mornings as kids. The Rifleman, Bonanza, Big Valley, and Gunsmoke seemed to do it all for us. The more I think about it, I'm not really certain that there were branding irons on any of those shows, but if there were, that is where I saw them for the first time.
Approximately 30 years later and 5,428 episodes of any & all westerns that I could find on cable, I have found myself with my own branding iron (several in fact) - which are most often found in the hands of my very own cowboy that doesn't brand anything lightly.
When I watch him with a branding iron, it all makes sense. You see, when you're holding that iron in your hand, it means you have something worth owning and claiming with pride. It's a tool that shouts from a distance that you have raised some calves you're proud of. You want them to have your signature for life.
You have been entrusted with much, but at the same time, you know that to whom much is given, much is required and this task of raising cattle, well it's much more than just signing on a dotted line and walking away after putting in your time for a few months. It's a lifestyle. It's day in and day out - in the pouring down rain, on the windiest of days, and even when they're not in the pen directly below the house - where these animals you've branded with your signature require nothing less than the best of you.
I've also learned that even when you're surrounded by the best of help and the best of friends, if it's your branding, you are most likely the one with the iron in your hand. Everyone around you shuffles and hustles and gives all the strength they can muster up just for you. They value your branding day almost as much as you do, but in a different sort of way, and when it comes down to who holds the heat and gives the orders, well ... the 'boss' usually wins.
You know right where the iron goes. You know if it's on the left or the right and how high or low you need to go. You know how hard to push and you know exactly when to let go. You've learned that it's easier to be the one holding the iron, and everyone else agrees with you.
1 comment:
Great post! We use freeze branding, but the idea is the same.
-Lori
Post a Comment