September 7, 2014

when you were nine.

 Dear Mason,

We all watch you in a bit of awe. We always have. You are fast on your feet, you have strength that comes from deep within inside of your soul, and you're scared of very little. You're nine and yet, you're so much more than nine at the same time.


You test limits. You watch carefully. You push buttons. You don't give in or give up. Ever.


You are admired at age nine more than some are even thought of during the span of their entire life. And the funny thing is, you often doubt it.


You doubt your ability to do things in a way that shows you are a perfectionist just like someone else I know. You don't want to do anything you might fail at. You don't want to show weakness to anyone. You don't want to stand out, but at the same time without intentionally trying, you do.


You pull at the heart of your mama and the rest of your world with your eyes, with your smile, with your determination, with your lack of giving anything but 100% ... even if it's killing you inside.


Sometimes you even pretend you don't need help. You appear to have everything under control. You tackle things that don't always need tackling just to prove a point. And you definitely don't like to be wrong.


You don't rest very often. You never have. You are on the go from the minute you wake up until you lay your head down ... and within seconds, sleep finds you. You appreciate a good nights sleep, but love mornings.


You watch the world go by and I know, without a doubt, you are making this world better just by being in it. You are making my world better just by giving me a reflection of myself - even at your worst. I look at you, and I see myself. I see the person that everyone loves, but the person that has a hard time loving themselves truly and deeply - especially when they mess up or fail or let someone down. I see the people-pleaser who wants the best for everyone around them - sometimes at the expense of yourself.


I see the eyes that twinkle with something special. I see your love of life and I can only hope that through it all - you will see that you don't have to prove yourself to anyone. You're alive, you're living, and you're trusting in a God that you can't always feel or see, but you know is there. You're shining in a dirty and dusty world brighter than you even realize.


So Mason, my nine year old workaholic, stubborn, hard-headed, strong-willed son that loves to bring joy to the lives of others by helping and doing ... remember that when it comes down to knowing and feeling that you're worth something - you are.

You are a treasure and gift straight from God ... and His approval is all you will ever need. Enter His gates with thanksgiving in your heart and the rest of the world and everything in it will fade away.

You are enough - just as you are.


With thankfulness of who you are now and who you are becoming,

Mom

1 comment:

Darcy said...

Love this! And that sweet boy of yours. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin