Most people have only one job, some people have two… but me… well, let me just tell you about my day that wasn’t so “average.”
Rocky Heights Elementary is my home away from home. I have been teaching there for approximately 8.5 years and have loved every minute of it. We are so very fortunate and blessed to have an enthusiastic, youthful spirited and compassionate staff that love a “challenge.” Now, we don’t necessarily search through the want ads of the local newspapers for evening jobs – but our latest “challenge” was Monday night at the local McDonalds. You may be wondering why I call it a challenge… well, because it was just that! Our school had an opportunity to earn some money from McDonalds if the Rocky Staff agreed to help work the drive-thru, the front counter, the ice cream/sundae shop, bussing tables, and most importantly – greeting Hermiston families and individuals with a SMILE and a GREAT attitude! Sounds like a piece of cake – right?! Well – I’m here to tell you that EVERYONE should have to experience what our staff had the opportunity to do for about 3 hours.
I have a whole new appreciation for the employees of McDonalds or any fast food/drive-thru restaurant for that matter – and I’m sure the rest of our school staff does too. It was absolutely crazy, total chaos, so much fun, a huge learning experience, and the place was filled to the brim with people – I don’t think one more person could fit through the door several times during the night. What I want to give you are a few GREAT things I learned while working the drive-thru window.
1. It is not necessary to talk on your cell phone while trying to order or pay… and especially not necessary when someone is trying to give you your food and you don’t have a free hand to take it.
2. If you don’t trust them…Check your bags before you leave the window. They’re more than happy to fix any mistakes they made.
3. When you feel the need to come through the drive-thru the second time because of a mistake in your order – say it the kindest way you can – they feel horrible about the mistake and they fix the mistake and give you what you want with a SMILE.
4. SMILE, SMILE, SMILE! I can’t say it enough! It is not an “easy” job like you may think it is and when that window is opened and someone is asking for your money or if you’d like a drink holder or if you need extra napkins – just be thankful that they just fixed you and your family a meal - you don’t have to do the dishes- and your kids get a toy!
I don’t expect you to change your way of “thinking” and “doing” during your next visit to a fast food restaurant, and I also realize that I was working on an especially “SMILEY” night, but I hope you at least think about what you do as “habit” the next time you pull up to the screen or machine to order, and do it with a SMILE in your voice and on your face!
Thank you McDonald’s drive-thru girls – you showed me the ropes, you laughed at my mistakes, and you did all of it with a SMILE!
Rocky Heights Elementary is my home away from home. I have been teaching there for approximately 8.5 years and have loved every minute of it. We are so very fortunate and blessed to have an enthusiastic, youthful spirited and compassionate staff that love a “challenge.” Now, we don’t necessarily search through the want ads of the local newspapers for evening jobs – but our latest “challenge” was Monday night at the local McDonalds. You may be wondering why I call it a challenge… well, because it was just that! Our school had an opportunity to earn some money from McDonalds if the Rocky Staff agreed to help work the drive-thru, the front counter, the ice cream/sundae shop, bussing tables, and most importantly – greeting Hermiston families and individuals with a SMILE and a GREAT attitude! Sounds like a piece of cake – right?! Well – I’m here to tell you that EVERYONE should have to experience what our staff had the opportunity to do for about 3 hours.
I have a whole new appreciation for the employees of McDonalds or any fast food/drive-thru restaurant for that matter – and I’m sure the rest of our school staff does too. It was absolutely crazy, total chaos, so much fun, a huge learning experience, and the place was filled to the brim with people – I don’t think one more person could fit through the door several times during the night. What I want to give you are a few GREAT things I learned while working the drive-thru window.
1. It is not necessary to talk on your cell phone while trying to order or pay… and especially not necessary when someone is trying to give you your food and you don’t have a free hand to take it.
2. If you don’t trust them…Check your bags before you leave the window. They’re more than happy to fix any mistakes they made.
3. When you feel the need to come through the drive-thru the second time because of a mistake in your order – say it the kindest way you can – they feel horrible about the mistake and they fix the mistake and give you what you want with a SMILE.
4. SMILE, SMILE, SMILE! I can’t say it enough! It is not an “easy” job like you may think it is and when that window is opened and someone is asking for your money or if you’d like a drink holder or if you need extra napkins – just be thankful that they just fixed you and your family a meal - you don’t have to do the dishes- and your kids get a toy!
I don’t expect you to change your way of “thinking” and “doing” during your next visit to a fast food restaurant, and I also realize that I was working on an especially “SMILEY” night, but I hope you at least think about what you do as “habit” the next time you pull up to the screen or machine to order, and do it with a SMILE in your voice and on your face!
Thank you McDonald’s drive-thru girls – you showed me the ropes, you laughed at my mistakes, and you did all of it with a SMILE!
Smiles are free – give a few away today!

4 comments:
Oh man...I wish I would have known that. I almost came to get icecream last night too...You could have put some extra snicker bars in there for me ;)
it was great and I'm sure I could have given you anything you asked for :)
Sounds like a great night out and lots of memories. Like Shannon said I would of asked for x-lg shake.
LOVED READING THIS! Loved McTeachers night. I so agree that the staff at Rocky Heights is BY FAR the best. We are so blessed to be a part of it all. BTW, the camera is still for sale, let me know if you want to try it out.
Post a Comment