July 22, 2008

We're Workin' Hard Mom, Workin' Hard.










There are times when I wonder what in the world I ever did before I had boys... well, before I had Mason. Mack just seems to go with the flow, but Mason, he's definitely one of a kind. He's up at the crack of dawn, insisting that he has to wear jeans like Daddy, and struggles pulling on two pairs of socks (because Daddy does). His boots are worn out, and I mean worn out and his faithful friend "Whitey" can never, ever be left behind. Whitey is now gray with grease spots and tattered with tears, but is Mason's constant companion.

This morning he headed to the door, quickly turned around and said "you gotta fix us a lunch mom... with sandwiches... um... cus we're workin' hard." And off he went, out to the shop to roll the jack under his Gator and "fix" something I'm sure.

Is this behavior unique to my 3 year old? I'm not sure. But I do know that God has given my strong willed boy a love for work and a love for life. He lives for driving the swather, baling straw, changing water, and fixin' anything and everything in sight... and most of the time he would rather work than play. I get frustrated at times because he has absolutely no clue that he is 3 and not 30, and when he isn't cut out for the job, his world comes to an absolute melt-down halt... which is a "not-so-fun" experience for this mom.

Mason is a mover. His energy level is HIGH all the time. And someday, when he's got a boy of his own, I'm going to smile and pull his wife aside and say " God has not given you more than you can handle... He hasn't... be patient, be firm, and learn how to laugh because you're in for the adventure of a lifetime."

Mason- I promise to love you for each and every thing that makes you "YOU." I will try my hardest, with the help of God, to give you boundaries, to show you love, and to let you become the young man that He has created you to be. Please know that I'm not perfect. My patience runs thin, I have a tendency to over-react when I'm tired, and I'm still learning how to be the mom of a strong-willed, adventure seeking, hard working boy. You are my joy. You are my pride. And no matter how many struggles we have, I know, with all my heart and soul, that it will be worth it in the end.

14 comments:

Becky said...

Great job 'mom'. =) I'm proud of you and pray for you often. I am also so thankful to know Mason and to have the opportunity to watch him. What a wonder he is. LOVE hime and lOVE you.

Anonymous said...

With tears streaming down my face, I just want to tell you that you are an awesome Mom. I admire you so much and appriciate that you posted this today.
I hope that you are still bloggin' when you get the chance to "chat" with Mason's wife. I honestly can't wait to hear how it all turns out. Love You!

Anonymous said...

I echo another comment...with tears streaming down my cheeks, I sit here amazed with you. and sad that we are not close. you are a wonderful woman. your personal insight into your actions (those when you are tired and those when you can not stop giggling) is an inspiration...even to those of us who do not have children from our own womb...thank you for what you send to me...without even knowing.
I love you.
~Milena

Anonymous said...

Yep, you are an amazing mom. Thats for sure my friend!!!

Jennifer said...

What a great post! I loved it!

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

You took the words right out of my mouth...except mine's name is Noah.

...It's like I've never had a little boy in him...just a miniature man.

At swim lessons today the instructor was trying to teach Noah how to dive. On the way home Noah informed me that he is not going to learn how to dive. He does NOT need to know how to dive...he's going to be a farmer, and farmers to not dive. *sigh* Usually I engage myself in the long discussion...but today, I just sighed :)

Mollie C said...

What a wonderful post about Mason! Can't wait to see the young man he's going to grow to be!!

Crystal said...

Well said mom! Perfect words!

Kerry said...

What wisdom and insight you have!! You are an amazing Mom and don't ever doubt that God knew what He was doing when He gave you little Mason to raise!!! He will impart His wisdom into you because His plan is for you to prosper in the job of parenting!
We're so proud of you Lindsay Erin!
Love you more and more each day!

Melisa Jo said...

This post makes me think of the Brooks and Dunn song, "I'm a hard workin' man"

I think it was well put when you said you are in for an adventure and what a great ride it will be.

Kristie said...

Each child is a gift from God uniquely packaged and perfectly fit to the parents that are blessed with them. God never makes a mistake! They is uniquely ours, just as we are uniquely theirs!

Its a constant battle to maintain a balance. By God's grace alone we will survive our season of raising these little boys we were so VERY blessed with. We will sit around in later years (yes, I do plan on knowing you when I'm old;) reminiscing about our days of raising our boys and discussing what fine young men/fathers/husbands they have become!:)

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

Okay, I am crying too! then laughing at Sarah's Noah..."farmer's don't dive" THAT is so funny! and SOOOO Noah...
I have to tell you about a boy, named Stephen, he was a wild child, his mother was frustrated and overwhelmed with what to do with him at times, ....but at the age of 17 he was diagnosed with cancer and the next two years of his life...that same strong will was the most amazing thing you have ever watched. He lived those last two years with amazing strength, resolve, and grace. The very will that fought his mother was the same will that was a shining testimony to everyone he met for two years of the grace and glory of Jesus Christ. He was confident in his Jesus, his home in heaven, his role in this world. He did not like knowing he would never have a family, children and probably never even marry, but he did not morn or even become bitter. Because he had this strong spirit, his strong will. God needed him to have it.
I remind my self of this all the time with my boys, whatever God has put within them, I must shape but not crush, mold but not change whatever God may need in them one day.
We do not know the world our boys will face, we just know it will be different than our world now, probably more difficult in many ways, only God knows His plan and the men of God he will need to be the next leaders of "his bride"/ the church.
You post was beautiful. You are a beautiful mother! You are called to be the mother of Mason for a special reason. You are doing such a wonderful job with him! He is like no other boy!
Keep up these posts! I love watching the relationship between the two of you!
Oh, and did you know Jedd's middle name is Stephen?
Whew! I did not know that he would carry on the name so well!

Katarina said...

I stumbled across your blog and wanted to comment on two things:
1) I LOVE your pictures, you are really good.And they truly tell a story.
2) I have two of the same quotes on my blog and have never seen them anywhere else, I smiled when I saw them on your page.

Anne said...

Here's hoping that what makes Mack uniquely Mack will provide a nice balance. All my girls are sooooo different...and my 'boy' Grace who is all about mud and mayhem...balances out my other 'girlie-girls' who don't wanna get their hands wet, cuz they just washed them....whine. It is an amazing ride, we all just need to remember to smile and laugh, all the while, holding on & screaming as the rollercoaster takes us upside down and all around.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin