Sometimes - whether it's intentional or not - reality stares you down.
I'm home this morning.
Folding laundry.
Packing.
About to leave for the dentist - in hopes that my broken tooth can be fixed.
I've got a few extra minutes.
I open Pandora.com ... turn up the volume and open up the blog I told you about yesterday.
Jenni Catron.
I don't know her.
We live states apart.
But she has written about things I need to be reading right now.
And I'm thankful for this woman that has helped me look reality in the face without even knowing it.
..............................
I don't juggle life intentionally.
I don't try to 'do it all' intentionally.
But somehow ... someway ... I've become a juggler.
.................................
Today & tomorrow ... and the days to come, I'm going to read these quotes again and again, and remember ...
“‘Having it all’ doesn’t mean having everything, all at once, all the time. ‘Having it all’ means taking yourself seriously. It means knowing yourself well enough to find your purpose in life. It means knowing what needs to change when you sense that you’ve lost that purpose. It means having the faith to believe that change is possible and the courage to make those changes. It means drawing strength from the relationships in your life, and, if there’s no strength to be drawn, knowing when to cut those relationships out of your life.
The conventional image of a successful woman today is that she’s a virtuoso juggler, somehow moving fast enough to keep all the many aspects of her busy life in the air at the same time. This is a common image, but it’s also quite sad. the core skill of juggling is throwing, not catching. To keep every object in the air, you have to get rid of each one as quickly as possible, barely allowing it to register on your fingertips before you toss it up and away, preparing for the next object to throw.
A strong life is the opposite of juggling. Juggling requires you to keep everything at bay, up in the air, away from you. The secret to living a strong life lies in knowing how to draw a few things in toward you. It asks you to be discriminating, selective, intentional. You can find energizing moments in each aspect of your life, but to do so you must learn how to catch them, hold on to them, to feel the pull of their weight and allow yourself to follow where they lead.”
From: Find Your Strongest Life by Marcus Buckingham
..............................
Can you guess what I'm going to buy with my Barnes & Noble gift card?
10 comments:
This book sounds like a "must-read"!
I, too, am in search of how to live the life God has planned specifically for me .....
I am so glad that you "found" this blog through God's prompting! He is faithful to lead and guide as we have that listening ear!
Won't it be fun to see what FEW things God will draw you toward and see how He leads?
The juggling imagery is pretty powerful.
Lindsay, I am so greateful that God's hand of favor is upon you, and always will be. Psalm 23:6 NLT says, "Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the LORD forever." Living in the house of the LORD seems to be the opposite of the idea you shared about the juggling we get so caught up in. We were created to live with God, to dwell with Him, to bask in His love... not to throw the next ball up as quickly as we can so we don't get flattened by the even bigger one falling on us. God's perspective is vital in understanding any difficult circustance. God is always determined to love us. Blessings sweet Lindsay.
awesome..... may you have a wonderful day {even though it includes a trip to the dentist}. thank you for sharing such a wonderful message lindsay. you are TRUELY a blessing in my life! my thoughts and prayers are with you, always.
Wow! I need to read those over and over. What amazing insight. Thank you for posting that...I may re-post on my blog. Amazing. Thank you Lindsay for the words this morning...something that I needed to hear:) Good luck at the dentist...you have inspired me to call my own:)
Just catching up Lindsey... I'm so sorry for your loss. That is one of my favorites of your posts. It brought tears to my eyes when you first posted it.
I also hope your tooth gets fixed and packing (yuck) goes well.
Have a great weekend !
So, so inspiring....I Love the analogy of juggling! Now, I really, really want to learn the art of catching, holding on, an following!! And, I can't wait to hear more about that book! Praying your weekend is filled with His presence in GREAT ways....Sweet blessings!
Lindsay go to ITunes and you can download his podcasts relating to the book. I saw him on Oprah a while ago and he is good!
once again good stuff!! What a journey we are on in the life!! Praise Jesus for His daily strength and guidance!!
L-I really needed to read this today, and keep reading it again and again. This past 2 weeks has been a huge juggle and your post came at just the right time yesterday.
My fingers are crossed and prayers being sent your way for all that you're doing right now. May you find the time and energy and patience to juggle all the things in your life and find the right things to hold onto!
XOX from the coast!
Lindsay:
I reached your blog through Darcs and not sure where to post this so decided on your most current.
The pictures you took of Darc and "The Golden Child" are fantastic. Myself and the Renegades looked through them and it was fun to see the kids reaction to them since it's been awhile since we've been able to see Darc. Luckily "The Golden Child" was back in November.
Great Pictures!
Post a Comment