January 25, 2010

On the outside ... looking in.

Do you ever step outside of your life and look in?

Figuratively speaking.

Where you're watching and seeing your life in action and suddenly you realize that you're watching your day unfold and you can't help but smile.

Even at the {bad} stuff.

You're smiling because it's yours.

You're smiling because somehow, someway, you've overcome trials, catastrophes, broken fences, and defeat, and learned what {love} really is.

You're smiling because your life has made you what you are today.

You're smiling because at even the worst of the worst, God was right there. And even if you didn't realize it at the time. He was. And still is.

....................................

I lived life this weekend with a view from the outside.

Weird, but true.

And honestly, it was probably one of the most healthiest things I've done in quite some time.

It wasn't rushed.

It wasn't perfect.

It wasn't documented with my camera.

It was just lived.

..........................................................

holy experience



And the multitude of blessings continue ...

40. Many families at my school enjoying a spaghetti dinner together. Mine included.

41. Grocery shopping with my sister.

42. Meaningful conversation.

43. Cousins - learning how to play and love.

44. Migas, cinnamon rolls, chicken pot pie ... filling our home with smells of goodness and love.

45. Tears, broken candy hearts, and photos that may {or may not} turn out well.

46. Laughter & friends ... and getting to share my home with visitors.

47. Children in the nursery at church ... and sharing my love of books with them.

48. Worship.

49. Bath-time ... bubbles, splashing, and smiles ... over and over again.

50. My sister ... the friend I've had my whole life & at times didn't realize how much I needed her ... and am so thankful that now I do.

51. A four-wheeler with all of my boys on it ... riding and laughing their way through life with each other.

52. Curled up on our bed {all four of us} ... talking, tickling, laughing, loving.

.......................................

It's easy to forget the little things.

It's easy to say - I'll never forget.

It's easy to watch and do ... and never realize that the actions and words that are a part of every day life define you.

.......................................

Do you have a multitude to give thanks for & sometimes let it slip right by?

I encourage you to just jot a few things down {even the bad} - whether you have a blog or not ... and your multitude will grow right before your very eyes without much effort.

And soon, "you may discover that the better you tell your stories, the better you will want to live it."
~ Henri Nouwen

12 comments:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Love this Lindsay...and a much needed reminder that it's been too long since I looked in from the outside.

Kerry said...

The quote at the end of your post describes YOU so beautifully ..... telling your stories from the life you live so well!
Sounds like it was a weekend that was "just right!"

shara said...

so true.. thank you~ needed to read just that. happy for your weekend at home with all your boys.. nothing better! may you have a wonderful, smiley, blessed and bubbly week!

Kristie said...

a life well lived...that is the life that is yours. Blessed to be a part of it from time to time! Love you friend!

Katarina said...

SO true, and just the reminder I needed this morning, as I start my day, to pause and look at it from the outside, to remember the little blessings in each moment.

Your *multitudes* make me smile, I'm so glad you share.

Sweet Blessings said...

Loved this post...and I Love how God uses you to touch hearts over & over again with your words! So smiling that you got to look inside this weekend! Sweet blessings!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

I love your perspective Lindsay. It's so true that every now and then we need to step back and see things from the outside to really appreciate them. <3

Kerry said...

Loving #50 .... thankful that you and Kirsten have each other to lean on! What a gift!

Loving you ..... more and more!!

Anonymous said...

By the way your banner is adorable!

Renegades said...

Sometimes we need a gentle reminder to look and be thankful ~ thank you for that reminder.

Have a fantastic day!

Anonymous said...

Looking from the outside - it puts into perspective the lives we should leave - and for whom we should be leading them. XOX

Kirsten said...

Love you Linds! Thanks for sharing your home with us! What a blessing!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin