March 31, 2010

Life {with cows}.

There are days when I wonder what it would be like to not have cows.

I used to live that life.

One with vacations.

One with golf courses.

One with camping trips.

One with free weekends.

One free from feeding.

One free from hay and grass in pockets, gloves, hats ... pretty much everything.

One free from a lot.

And although it was {free} of a lot, it's not necessarily one I would know what to do with anymore.

Funny how that happens.
.........................

Now that we live where our cows are again... although most are already on spring pasture several miles away ... I've found myself truly appreciating the fact that my boys have developed a real understanding of the routines that have to happen because of the cows.

They have to eat.

Every. Single. Day.

The troughs can not be empty.

The gates must always be closed.

The twine has to be picked up.

The bottle babies must be fed twice a day.

The bulls must not be messed with.

............................

I'm sure that if I {interviewed} Ian or Mason ... the list would be longer, but I chose to go with my own list.

It's just easier that way.

And since I'm the one that deals with the {mess} that doesn't seem to leave itself at the door ... you get my perspective, not theirs.

So there you have it ... the {highlights} of life with cows.

Here are just a few treasures from our {staycation} last week.

Yes, he's licking the windshield. Why? I have no idea. It must taste good.


Yep.

Life with cows.

I wouldn't want it any other way.

Really.

10 comments:

~Roberts~ said...

I am truly grateful that my children are being raised on a farm. Nothing is better and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Your boys look so happy to be living right where they are.

ShelliGib said...

See, you're where you should be. You wouldn't want your kids licking the windshield of a city bus! : ) Happy Wednesday!

Katarina said...

i enjoy these glimpses into your *life*.

Stacey said...

Your happiness shines through! Thanks for sharing! Glad your new home is all you dreamed it would be.

Jenny Estes said...

You are sooo lucky.... There are alot of kids and parents too, that dream of the life you lead.
To play for 8 straight hours,(with Cid) and not want to quit, is remarkable. They HAD to stop for lunch. Those two had nothing but a bike, a horse trailer, a roping dummy, a couple ropes, and an old barn with some hay in it...
And there imaginations were endless...

Sweet Blessings said...

Oh sweet cow-girl sister, you make me laugh! And, you are much more settled than I, because sometimes I do think I would know what to do without cows :D Sometimes I think I actually hear the warm sands of a Mexican beach screaming my name!!! So, so glad God blessed me with a friend that totally understands being married to a cattleman (& the unexpected finds they leave us :D) Praying over & over great blessings upon you & your herd! Sweet blessings!

Kerry said...

The pictures are so great ...... telling the story of your life so well !! ShelliGib's comment was priceless! :-D
The pics of Mason are wonderful!!
So thankful that God saw to it to place you in such a beautiful spot!

shara said...

envious of you life as usual. love it. even in all of it's messiness. i think there is something about it that creates wonder. love. respect. giving. taking. life. good. bad. education. work ethic. love it! although i don't truely know if i could handle the dirt on the floor. i'm a sweet every day kinda girl. dirt under my feet, wow that's a comment for another day. so glad you are back "home" at bales and tales. totally understand your spring "break", but missed your inspiring words and post. have a great thursday and upcoming weekend my friend!

Anonymous said...

One can begin to see life as a cattle rancher through your eyes, all thanks to this blog and the words you choose to share here. I love reading your posts and capturing just a glimpse of the way you spend your days, weeks, months, years....what a wonderful life (even without the golf course or weekends away).

Kristie said...

I love it! I don't always understand the whole mystic of the life as a cattle rancher but I love that you guys love it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin