I always thought that the "terrible two" thing was something that I (the perfect mother) would never experience. I'm pretty sure that I was wrong - totally & completely wrong.... about the "perfect mother" thing and the "terrible twos."
He tests ALL limits.
He pushes every button.
He knows exactly what NOT to do.
Most days are good.
But one bad day seems like 10.
I read books on discipline.
I pray for wisdom.
I try to come up with creative ideas.
I ask for advice.
I'm consistent... or at least I try to be.
I'm at a loss.
I'm at a loss.
Parenting is not easy, and today... is one of "those" days...
Hoping & praying that tomorrow is better... it has to be - right?!
Hoping & praying that tomorrow is better... it has to be - right?!

10 comments:
Oh', I can SO relate... I remember when my niece was 2. Madi was just a tiny baby and I would always think to myself... "My kid will NEVER act like that." Ummm, yeah... Ate my words about two years later!
Tomorrow WILL be better.
And, man he IS SO CUTE!
The best advice my mom ever gave me was never be too tired to parent your child. Consistancy is your friend! He's pushing you to see if you will push back! Its a right of passage so to speak! Just remember your in charge and he needs to know that! There will be tears (from both of you) but you can do it! There is really no magic formula (unfortunately), just apply to discipline you have choosen all the time every time. Even if you are in the middle of Wal-Mart or a restaurant or someone elses house! Bathrooms are great places to take them when they need an attitude adjustment. He's a smart little guy and he will catch on fast that Mom means business and he will love you for it! Children need boundaries and its our responsibility to create them. I know it feels hopeless on these bad days but really every time you deal with an issue its creating a good day down the road! Trust me...this is my third round with "the terrible twos"...you will make it! As they say...this too shall pass!
Take care friend!
Love,
Kristie
i am fast approaching the twos with little miss "im the baby piper"
Oh dear! I hear you...
chocholate anyone?
Got an idea. Drop him off tonight to spend the night so I can baby sit Florida style. In the morning we will hit the Everglades to chase Gators and then go out to the Reef and snorkel to see some Fish. Come buy for pick up about 6pm. Call before pickup so I can give him a dozen sugar cookies.
Have a good weekend.
What great counsel from Kristie.... I couldn't say it any better!!!
Hang in there....it is so worth the "work" ..stick with it!
Love you lots and lots!
I have been thinking about this this afternoon, as I was doing my Friday Afternoon cleaning...
And I just wanted to add this... Just because...
Once I was in KFC, eating lunch with my Mother-In-Law and all three of my children. This little old lady walked up to us and said... "My, you have the most beautiful and well behaved children I have ever seen. What a lovely little family you have, you should be very proud of yourself, as a momma."
WOW! I have never been prouder than that very moment. I thought it was so sweet that she took the time to come and say those words to me. Then she said... " The key to successful parenting, is to choose your battles. Never, ever say no, if you don't really mean it, and when you say no, MEAN it. Stick to it, no matter the cost." Those words really, really stuck out in my mind. I think that she is soooo right, and so many times, those exact words and her sweet little old lady voice have came back to me. I could have never ran into that little old lady that day, but I am so glad that I did. I wish I could see her again, to thank her for just taking a second, and making a huge impact on us.
It sounds crazy, I know... But, I just felt the need to share.
Now I am done.
Happy Weekend, My Friend... And Sweet Little Mason, too.
Well, my friend I can relate as well! I have a very strong-willed 2 y/o and have just come out of a very intense (6 week) period of testing from him! I agree with Kristie about consistency and demanding respect 100%! Remember that God will give you everything you need in "fighting" these battles of the will. You will grow, learn and be so thankful for the mercy that God will grant you along the way. It's not over, it's only just begun, but it's worth it!
Love,
Katie
LInds,
I am sorry that things are tough, but you are strong and a great mom!! I don't have kids, but I remember Alexa's terrible two's and one of the hardest things for me to do was to tell her "no" but when I did, I stuck to it. Mason is soooooooooo cute whether he is close to being a terrible two. Enjoy motherhood, and keep smiling. Happy weekend.
Tanya
My sister gave me a great book:
She's Gonna Blow!: Real Help for Moms Dealing with Anger,
by Julie Ann Barnhill. It is not only a crack-up but it also helped me realize I wasn't alone in this whole experience called motherhood. I also have a 2 year old who pushes every button I have at any given moment. I just do the best I can and move on from there, and TRY not to let my mistakes ruin my day. Thanks, Lindsay, for sharing your thoughts and insight.
p.s. unfortunately it doesn't all magically turn off at 3!
The best part is that no matter how much you read, prepare, and try - they go through a different stage or phase the next day. It makes Josh and I question having a third - we would be out numbered!
Post a Comment