July 20, 2008

Come To Your Senses

How does a clean, picked-up, cozy room can turn into a war zone in a matter of minutes? Toys, tears, spilled juice, grease spots from the bottom of boots, fruit loops scattered from here to there, and newspapers that were once stacked nicely are now looking like they've just been ejected from the shredder we don't have? There may still be a smelly candle burning and some music playing from the radio, but aside from that, life doesn't look so great.

My camera and I had intentions of taking amazing pictures yesterday, and then after viewing them on the computer, I can proudly say there are a couple, but somehow the idea of this great day at the mountain pasture with Karl turned into something else. It consisted of a short {way too short} nap, hot kids, a cranky mom, spilled juice, lots of dirt, a snake, and a somewhat oblivious dad who loves to fish. At one point, I found it easier to strip Mack, give Mason the dead Ipod and let him "pretend" to jam out to Ian Tyson and Tim McGraw, roll the windows down, and just sit in the pickup and watch my husband in his element. The days of spending the day riding the 4 wheeler to the "perfect" hole, taking and actually reading a good book, hiking around the creek bank and searching for those perfect flowers to take pictures of... those are gone for now... not forever, but at least for a few more years. Karl, who is a 40 year old version of Ian, could sense my frustration with the situation and decided that the ponds would probably be an easier place to manage the kids. He saw my tired eyes, he heard my cranky voice, and he helped my husband come to his senses. :)

Senses are an amazing thing. They bring the most amazing things to life with their beauty, their taste, their smell, their touch, their sound. On our lazy day in the mountains, I was reminded of these wonderful things that really make life what it is. I mean really, would I know the beauty of a flower, or the sound of the wind whistling through the timber, or the smell of "fresh mountain air," or even the feel of the cool water splashing over my toes in the river without the senses that I've come to somewhat take for granted?

































I dare you to enjoy the "senses" of the day to day things... even the not so fun moments ... and when you least expect it, God will reveal something new to you. Really, He will. It may not be what you were expecting, but it will make you think & may even change you a bit.

** Thanks for the fun comments on "Come Take A Walk With Me" ... they made this freckled, blessed & loved girl smile!

10 comments:

Mollie C said...

LOVE the pictures! BEAUTIFUL! That one with the water snake sticking it's head out of the water is incredible! You really have a gift:) Have a BLESSED day!

Michelle said...

Oh, Linds... the pictures are AMAZING! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Hope you have a restful day today!

Anonymous said...

Yes, great pictures especially the one with the snake!!! That is just great!!! :)

Nicole said...

I didn't get a chance to post a memory and these pictures brought one back. The day I saw you and Ian in the Ukiah store.

What beautiful pictures makes me long for a nice somwhat relaxing day in the mountains.

Crystal said...

So insightful! You are..

I love your photography gift and how you use it to capture your world.

Lisa said...

very cool post...totally know what you mean...totally trying to come to my senses :)

Angie said...

Great photos... You do have such a gift. It looks like a beautiful place.

Thanks for the pool info. I want one. However it would look completely ridiculous in our yard with me going down the large slide and Cameron watching. Not to mention our neighbors are a lot closer then yours!!! Some day Cameron will be old enough and I will be having a blast right along with him...
Enjoy your week!

Deb said...

Congrats on capturing the snake in a photo, I wouldn't have stuck around long enough to take a picture. The snake would have been taking one of me with my camara after I dropped it and ran. Not a fan of snakes. =}

Kailin said...

Beautiful pictures!
I love your "war zone" decription...your were describing my house earlier today!

Thinking of you!

(the snake is a bit creepy)

Stacey said...

You take such great pics! And I totally understand trying to entertain out of your element!!Looks like all in all you had a nice day!! And your posts are so thought provoking! Love it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin