July 8, 2008

Independence

and I'm not talking about the 4th of July ... but oh how I wish I was.


I'm exhausted. Mason's exhausted.

My strong willed, bright, loving, hard-headed son is testing me, out-thinking me, challenging me, and breaking me.

I'm seeing so many things about myself as I do my very best to parent him. I like control. I like to be the boss. I like to get my way. I go and go and go & truly dislike being told no. I don't function well with little sleep.

Why do I expect any less from my own flesh and blood?

The past two weeks have been absolutely exhausting - mentally & physically. There hasn't been a schedule. Dinner time has been late ... and I mean LATE.... which means bed time is even LATER. I've been busy... really, really busy. There has been no rhyme or reason to our daily activities. We're simply surviving.

I'm praying for patience. I'm continuing to stick with what I say & let him know I absolutely mean what I say. I'm repeating myself over and over and over. I'm wanting the very best for him.

I know that I need to keep my ground. I know that boundaries are good. I know that the hard work now will pay off later. I know that it's not easy. I know that I was made to be his mother. I know, I know, I know.


... but why, oh why does it have to be so stinkin' hard?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) Love you!
Stick to your guns, I really, really believe that it will be worth it in the long run! Hang in there, and get some rest. Relax for a bit, it helps!

Kirsten said...

Just keep trying and loving - if only parenting came with directions. I think a little down time at home would be a good thing for all of you. Time to relax, focus, rest, be consistent, and work on that "indpendence". Sending my love and prayers your way! Love you.

Michelle said...

Oh... do I relate! I think that we long for vacation... and then when vacation has eaten us up... we long for school to start for routine and structure. :) Keep looking to the horizon. Blessings!

Kerry said...

Your commitment to training is going to pay off......
if possible, I would advise you to stay home for the next few weeks. That will give him a training ground that establishes boundaries that are constant ..... I'm certain there will be many benefits from this time of testing and training.
Take time to sleep when you get the boys down for their naps!
Know that you are loved!!

Anonymous said...

Um yeah I don't have much of a comment for this one!!! Pretty sure I know how you feel. Love you!

Amy Tolar said...

Strong vibes headed your way! I know all about tested patience, and boy is it hard to stick to your guns. You both will be better for it, though.

Thinking of you, my friend.
Amy

Nicole said...

Oh I am feeling for you, I am going through the dame thing with both of mine they are both so strong willed and stubborn. remember this is only a season, hopefully a short one.

Kerry said...

Mason's haircut looks great! NICE JOB!

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

wow do I remember feeling that way when the boys were that age.... hang in there.... it gets better....

Anne said...

Kinda have had some of those moments here in South Dakota too...but we are supposed to be having fun...When and where do you draw the line when you are supposed to be having fun? Feeling it w/ya!

Crystal said...

God's looking down on your efforts and smiling at your continuous love, guidance and support of His children. Keep getting through each day. I pray for rest and peace to settle on you!

Loving you!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin