July 9, 2008
We'll Never Know
How long he was here by himself...
How he managed to pour cereal & milk into a bowl without spilling...
How he felt sitting in his gator eating his Lucky Charms waiting for someone to come home...
How he ended up being home alone...
I feel as if I've just experienced my own version of "HOME ALONE." Seriously... 30 minutes later and my heart is still pounding.
Mason left with Ian early this morning to bale hay.
Becky, Mack and I spent the morning chatting, looking at magazines, and eating breakfast.
Becky left to meet Francie and Kelly for lunch.
I tried to call Ian {3} times to see if I need to come "rescue" son #1.
He didn't answer, so I left a message.
I decided that I would go grocery shopping with one child instead of two.
I drove to town, stopped by the fair office for their exhibitors info. catalog, took a disk of pictures to Neely, and headed toward the grocery store.
I tried to call Ian one more time.
He answered.
I asked if I need to come get Mason.
And this is where the whole thing starts to get interesting.
He says ... "Mason's at home.... Doug brought him home."
Silence.
He asks ... "Where are you?"
Silence.
He asks again ... "Where are you?"
I try to answer as calmly as possible ... "I'm in town."
Silence.
I ask ... "Where is Doug?"
He answers ... "He went home for lunch."
"So no one is there with Mason? He's alone?"
Silence.
I hang up.
Never in my life has any drive seemed so long. I kept picturing my son driving toward me in his Buck or Gator, down the busy highway, waving and smiling at every farmer he met. I turned onto our road, hoping to see someones vehicle parked near the shop. It didn't matter who's it was, I just wanted someone to be with him. No vehicles. No people. Nothing.
I pull in the driveway & there sits Mason - in his new Gator, eating a HUGE bowl of Lucky Charms, smiling & asking me "Where did you go Mom?" His personal experience of being "Home Alone" didn't phase him a bit.
I don't think I'll be going anywhere anytime soon... and if I do go somewhere, I'm praying it's not to jail.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

17 comments:
OH MY GOODNESS!!! What a scary time. I can't imagine the feelings that you must have been experiencing. Praise God for his protection!
Praise God he's 3 1/2 going on 30 :) He had it all under control.
AAHHH! I teared up just reading this. So glad he was fine, Lindsay :)
And by the way, you're still a terrific mama!
SO SCARY!!!
Wow! Scary!! So glad nothing bad happened! I can't imagine the feeling!!
I'm sobbing reading your post...... remembering the time that you packed 2 year old Kirsten across the highway because we left you two at home for a few minutes...... which must have felt like an eternity to YOU because you weren't comfortable being at home by yourselves so you ventured out to meet us on our way back to the house. Frightening, to say the least!!
So glad that Mason wasn't phased by the whole experience. Maybe he was keeping track of the time with the colored clothespins??! Good job of sorting there Mason.
Love you, love you!!!
Oh. My. Goodness. I'm so thankful everything is ok.
Thinking of you, my friend.
Amy
I so sorry you had such a scare and so happy all turned out well.
My thoughts are with you today.
I haven't done that exactly...but I have 'lost' a kid a time or two before...and it still makes me nearly throw up. I am thankful that all's well...
WOW~!~ This is an incredible story... one that will go down in the record book!!!!!
I got chills and a little teary eyed imagining everything you were going through. But I also got a little giggle out of it picturing Mason calmly doing his thing.
OMG How scary for you and Ian.
So happy that Mason was fine and unphased.
Hugs to you my friend!
Oh man! I can imagine how scared you were!
In a few months, ok maybe years, you'll be able to look back on this and laugh. Love the Lucky Charms part, he's so cute!
Once, when Ashlyn was a new, new baby John and I went grocery shopping. He was pushing Deven and Madi in one cart, and I had Ashlyn in her infant seat, in a cart for the groceries. We stopped to look at something, and realized a few minutes later that we only had one cart of kids. It wasn't until we were on the other side of the store that I realized that I had forgotten my cart, with my new baby in it. HORRIBLE! I was trembling, and I never wanted to leave home with 3 kids again.
It happens. You are lucky that he is 3 going on 30, see I knew that would come in handy eventually!
What an amazing kid to be able to make it through that without a HUGE meltdown! Love to you today, and so happy that you are all safe and sound!
OH my goodness!! I'm so glad everyone is ok! But how scary!
Oh my how scary for you and Ian good thing Mason was unfazed. I had to laugh picturing him just as calm as can be waiting for you.
Hey Linds,
I am thinking that we are ready for the next movie of "Home Alone 5 staring Mason M. Murdock" :-) You can be soooooo thankful that he was unfazed and that maybe he is some as independant as he is even if it is hard at times. :-) Glad everything turned out well. Hugs to you all. Hope today is going well. I love the picture of him sorting the clothes pins by color
Linds,
This is a PS. He even knew what kind of cereal to eat while he was waiting on you. A Lucky Charms boy with milk. :-)
Post a Comment