February 4, 2009

Optimism.


I grabbed the book of the top of Mack's dresser this afternoon. I hadn't looked at it for a while, and while I was quickly grabbing his shoes and socks, it caught my eye.

Lord Bless My Child continues to influence, inspire and mold me. {probably more than my children} I know this sounds a bit goofy, but every time I open it, the page I open to is just what I need to read.

I don't see it as chance.

It's God speaking to me.

I know it.

And when He's speaking to me, you get the opportunity to {listen} to Him too.

Lucky {us}.

..................................................................

Some key points from Bill and Nancie Carmichael's book:

It's always refreshing to be around people who are positive.
Colossians 3:1-2 says, {If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.}

We must remember that optimism is the first cousin to faith, and pessimism is the first cousin to doubt.

{It's not so much who you believe in, as who believes in you!} ~ Henrietta Meyers

A person with optimism, with faith in the God of the impossible, is a person who can influence his or her world.

........................................................................

This world we live in is negative enough.

Don't add to it.

Just don't.

I catch myself on bad days, tiring days, overwhelming days, exhausting days on the verge of seeing the glass half empty and then I remember 1 Corinthians 13:7. {LOVE bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things}

I know that I need to {I must} have an "unshakable confidence in Christ and believe that all things work out for the good."

Who am I, a teacher, wife, mother, friend, freckled, blessed woman, to influence and inspire others?

Truth is ... I am nothing without Him.

He gives me the words.

He speaks to my heart.

He shines brightly through my spirit.

And I write it down.

All of it.

Whether it makes total sense or not because I know that He's calling me to.

............................................................

Today & many, many days to come I will pray with my whole entire being that my children {my two beautiful boys} will see the positive side of life.
~May they have that rare ability to look for the best, even in the dark times.
~May they be men who see opportunities in problems.
~May they bring sunshine where there is rain, courage where there is fear, and hope when there is despair.

If I'm doing my job as their {optimistic} mother, they will.

I know it.

.......................................................................

One of our best cows had a beautiful calf today. 2 hours later, after {licking her baby off} and giving the colostrum her little heifer needed, she died.

We don't know why.

We can't begin to understand why this year of calving has been so very, very difficult & trying.

We're frustrated.

We're tired.

We're flat worn out.

But, we continue {all of us} to be optimistic.

If you're any kind of farmer or rancher, you have to be optimistic.

And if you're lucky enough to be the wife of that farmer or rancher with a run of {not so good luck}, you have to be willing to see the best in everything.



Optimism.

Let it define you.

14 comments:

Becky said...

I like it! thanks!

Smith Family said...

Thanks for this beautiful reminder.

Sweet Blessings said...

Linds,

Thanks so much for writing God's words into my heart tonight...I need that reminder .."to be willing to see the best in everything"...especially concerning our "cattle life"! Optimism!!! A good NEW word to add to my daily vocabulary!!! May it overflow in you...into the lives of those you touch! Sweet blessings!

shara said...

just want you to know that i enjoy reading your blog and find you to be a very positive person and someone who tries to find the good in everything. you are alot like miss tammy ( i know she isn't really miss outside of school but since i met her at preschool some 9 years ago she will always be miss tammy). she, like you is always positive and looks for good. it makes me want to be a better person and try a little harder to be a little less like me sometimes. :) so sorry to read of your momma cow. it saddens me to read such. your boys are adorable and your pictures inspire me. thanks for sharing all you do. may the rest of your week be blessed.

Anonymous said...

I desire to have "optimism" define me ...... I pray it does!
Love you sweetheart!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Linds. I needed this, and I love your positive. I love how you always have the most encouraging things to say, and the things I need to hear and be reading. I love the new banner. Mack is adorable. So sorry about your momma cow. Hope the rest of your week is better.

Michelle said...

The thoughts in your head rule your world! :)

Katarina said...

Lindsay, thank you for posting what God lays on your heart. I love reading your blog and being given glimpses ito you life and little reminders about what a AWESOME God we serve.
This post was what I needed to hear this morning, a reminder that if I'm not being an example to my kids of the *good* then they aren't, in fact, going to learn it. SO thank you my blogging friend.
Hope the calving season gets better.

ShelliGib said...

Nice post and so very true! It can be so hard to remain positive in what seems such a negative world, but I've noticed if you continually look for the positives it gets easier and easier to find them.
A happy and positive Thursday to you!

Anne said...

I remember growing up on the ranch and having 'those' years. Being a kid, who didn't 'enjoy' farm like, I remember not being worried or sad, but being mad. It meant going with out...all the cute clothes my friends had and all the other 'things' that I thought I wanted. i don't remember what 'things' would upside-down my dad the most...I think probably the weather. No rain, no growth, no feed, no cash...(I'm going to ask him what it was...)

What I do know is this...it was my Grandpa's ranch...is now my Dad's and will someday be my brother's. Through the good and bad, thick and thin, they made it...they continue to endure, as I know you will too.

misty said...

you are such a positive person - i need you in my life! thank you!

head over to my page when you can - i've passed something on to you today! :)

Pendleton Pathways: International Travel said...

Thank you for your words!!! I needed those today. Optimism is one of my top most daily goals, but I was struggling today. Your words were helpful (always are).

Kristie said...

Love this!! Thank you for always sharing your heart! Blessed by your spirit over and over again!

Love to you!

Kirsten said...

Great post! Optimism - the word for my weekend at work!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin