February 17, 2011

my wardrobe.

I have a few friends who have been posting about their wardrobes.

They're sharing what they're doing to "wear" what they have - changing it up a bit and giving older things new life.

It's refreshing and fun to see such style and beauty come from that which isn't necessarily "new."

But ...

It's also brought a lot of questions and thoughts into my mind about what a wardrobe really is, and as I turn the pages of the books stacked on my night stand I truly begin to understand what "style" really is.

I begin to clothe myself differently.

I begin to see my outward appearance as insignificant - and the grace and mercy and thankfulness pumping through my veins as the items of necessity - ones I should never live a day without.

........................................................

I stood at my closet this morning and fingered through the shirts and sweaters hanging in neat tidy rows. 

I looked up to the folded stacks of jeans.

I pushed the trousers and khaki pants aside.

Nothing seemed to catch my eye.

Everything looked old, out-dated, worn.

The colors aren't as vibrant as they once were.

They are marked with wrinkles and stains.

I finally grabbed a striped shirt, some ironed jeans (I know what you're thinking ... who really irons their jeans?) and a pair of socks ... glancing briefly in the mirror.

.....................................

My closet, your closet, any closet ... a blessing or a curse?  A blessing, when we have been chosen by Him.

..........................

Colossians 3:12-17

So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it.
Let the peace of Christ keep you in tune with each other, in step with each other. None of this going off and doing your own thing. And cultivate thankfulness. Let the Word of Christ—the Message—have the run of the house. Give it plenty of room in your lives. Instruct and direct one another using good common sense. And sing, sing your hearts out to God! Let every detail in your lives—words, actions, whatever—be done in the name of the Master, Jesus, thanking God the Father every step of the way.

....................................

Styles come and go.

Clothes become worn, loose fitting (or tight fitting).

But the wardrobe God picked out for me - what am I doing with that?

How does it fit?

Do I choose that before anything else?

Have I boxed it up for another season or tried to give it away because it didnt' fit quite right?

..............................

After today, my closet will hold hangers with words (mixed in with my clothes).

Yes, words.

As silly as it sounds, I'm creating a closet with purpose.

I will reach for compassion and wear it proudly.

I will button kindness around me to keep the warmth in.

My legs will be held secure with humility and quiet strength.

Discipline will wrap itself tightly around my neck against the winds that blow my way.

Love will cover my head and saturate my soul.

.........................................

If those articles, those words, those things that God says need to, have to, define us aren't worn for all to see, then I've failed at my choice of attire.

In style ... or out of style ... without His spirit, His cloak of love, I am nothing.

............................................

10 comments:

B.R. said...

Great analogy Lindsay. and a closet with a purpose...

Katarina said...

Words of truth. Thank you for the way you write. I love the way you convey what's on your heart.

Darcy said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Love this!!!

Sweet Blessings said...

Oh Linds...this is so perfect! I am always totally AMAZED at how God writes through you! Thank YOU for choosing to strive to be ALL He calls you to be...and blessing each of us along the way! On Ya & many Sweet blessings to YOU!

P.S. I DO IRON my jeans too :) In fact, I pretty much iron every single thing!

Crystal said...

You are a wise woman - and your sharing is beautiful, just like you! I think I need to post this on my closet door as a gentle, daily reminder.

ShelliGib said...

This is a great post...however I can't stop thinking about your ironed jeans!? : ) Happy Weekend!

Becky said...

Lindsay, this is so perfect. As I read through your post, I kept thinking "yes! This is what I wanted to say in my post!" You are an inspiration and I love this fresh perspective on an every day thing.
And yes, I have always ironed my jeans (when they haven't been to the dry cleaner that is...haha!)
LOVE YOU!

Kerry said...

Wow ..... said by "Grams" and "Mom"!!!
You are an incredible inspiration. Grams is wondering when your book is going to be "PUBLISHED"!!

Brooke said...

I need to remind myself of this more often. Thanks for the words! And for reminding me of HIS words!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin