She was born blind.
We didn't know it until day 3.
Ian's kicking himself for not noticing sooner, but he shouldn't be. At least he noticed. Period.
She lived in our laundry room {aka mud room ... also know as the entry to our home} ... for 2 days.
She brought hope to Mack and Mason's world.
She brought adventure.
She brought a bunch of extra love I didn't know they had.
She brought a mess.
But don't we all.
By Sunday morning I was a bit exasperated by her faint mooing sound {which sounded more like a cry for help or maybe even pain medication} and her attempts to get to her feet.
I was discouraged by my own problems, miscommunications, and exhaustion ... and her lack of strength seemed to pull me down even further.
The boys hovered over her, petted her, showed her books and covered her up - over and over again.
I watched with regret knowing she probably wouldn't live.
I detest watching others suffer ... including cows.
I had little hope.
Ian would come in and feed her, while trying to convince himself that she was doing better.
I would just watch.
I wanted to care.
I wanted to nurture her ... but I couldn't make myself.
I was so stuck in my little pity party of dealing with the messes that seemed to be piling {literally} all over the house whenever I turned my head, that one little dying calf was the least of my concern.
And then, when the mooing stopped and her body stopped moving I did the most pathetic thing of all.
I sat in the laundry room and just stared at her.
I was lifeless, and so was she.
......................................................
A normal ranchers wife probably would have been the one nursing it back to life instead of wishing it was in the barn or waiting for her husband to come in and deal with it.
An average ranchers wife probably wouldn't have sighed a sigh of relief when the mooing stopped.
A typical ranchers wife isn't me.
..............................
I'm still trying to figure out how to live this life I've been given.
The disasters.
The accidents.
The fights for life.
The job that isn't a job, but a lifestyle.
Someday, I'll be the one covering the sick calf up with blankets and propping its head up with towels.
Someday, I'll be the one nurturing the heck out of the sweet little calf that has made it's way into my home like my husband and boys were all weekend long.
Someday, I'll be more about them and the {bigger picture} and less about me.
And I sure hope someday is sooner than later.
8 comments:
Oh friend, my heart goes out to you. Those are rough days....and made even rougher when there isn't a bright light at the end of the tunnel....and you have a mess of poop and pee to clean up on top of it. But you ARE an above average ranch wife...you are! We all have different gifts and talents - and you have MANY! To many to count.
Praying for you -
AMEN to Darcy's comment ...... (typing as my eyes fill with tears) ...... I know you never expected to really live the life of a rancher's wife BUT God is giving you His strength ..... day by day! "I can do all things through Christ"!!
You are an amazing child of God! Believe it!
Love to hear of the boys learning to have a sweet, sensitive touch.
So SO SORRY that your calf didn't make it...so sorry that at a young age your boys are learning about the hard parts of life...and so sorry that you are feeling a bit out of sync right now...but, know that you are a great rancher's wife..(You know that job doesn't come with a manual that makes it easy :D) Darcy is so right you have so many gifts & talents...and God always uses them in just the right way! Praying for you...and life as a rancher's wife...and know sweet friend you are not alone...us "cattlemen's Mrs." all have our days and moments!!! Love you~ Sweet blessings!
O Lindsay...I can tell you, I'm not tough enough to be a ranchers wife! Being a Ranchers wife is hard work, selfless work, and often comes with NO vacations; just the vacation you take when you drive 35 minutes into town to teach 25 1st graders! Don't be so hard on yourself! You are loved!
What IS normal?
What IS typical?
What IS average?
How is any of that better than who you are?! Darcy and everyone before this, are spot on.
No one can ever be everything to everyone. Someday you'll notice that while you couldn't nurture that one calf, you can nurture someone, or something else, in need. In need of something unique that YOU are fully able to find, and give.
An average rancher's wife, you are not. You are so much more than that stereotype. No label fits the best, the confused, the tired and imperfect and wonderful spectacle of caring humanity that fills you. Some areas lack, and some overflow. Stand firm, knowing that as one wins and loses... either way you come out with more. More knowledge, more understanding, more chances, more reason, more growth.
Wow! I can so totally relate with you and many of the feelings you have. I am not a rancher's wife, but still relate. Thanks for being honest and putting it right out there. I admire you and the life you live. Thanks for sharing.
So raw.
SO honest.
So real.
And totally relatable.
Totally.
my little heart is broken for you and the boys and ian and the little calf. reading everyone's comments above me all i can do is say, they are right. you are an amazing person who tends to sell herself short all too often. what YOU don't realize is that where you feel you aren't doing your "job" the one with many labels, you do for so many others. i could never survive in your shoes, i just couldn't. so, the next time you have i don't know a few minutes to yourself... look in the mirror and tell yourself and believe it.. that you are simple amazing! thank you as always for such a real and un candy coated view of your world... it teaches all of us something, everyday without you even knowing it.
Post a Comment