Dear Bob Goff,
I just finished your book in record speed. I'm not a track star, or even a runner for that matter, but I am a reader - and a fast one at that. Over the past few days, I've been reading (and re-reading), highlighting, ear-marking, and telling everyone I know to go get your book: Love Does. To get it, read it, and "lose the cape" with me.
You see, after reading your "stories" and looking at my own life in a different light, I feel like I could run a marathon. I really think I could, even without the training. And I say that with confidence because my life is filled with people that are "with me" ... I'm sitting "palms up" ... and my faith "isn't always explainable or easily calculated, but it always has Jesus on the other side of the equals sign." When you have all of that - what more do you need? "We all get a chance to be awesome if we want to be."
This afternoon I sent you a text - and I don't even have a cell phone plan that includes texting. (I know what you're thinking ... who doesn't text?) Anyway - it was well worth the 25 cents. In fact it was probably the best money I've spent in a long time ... and you know why? Because you called me back.
When I saw your number on the screen, I couldn't believe it. You called me back.
You said: "Hello Lindsay, this is Bob Goff ... and I want to thank you for taking the time to write me a note today - you MADE MY DAY."
I made your day. Unbelievable.
Four minutes later I held my phone in my hand and just smiled - remembering that "people who follow Jesus are no longer typical - because God constantly invites them into a life that moves away from typical." That phone call was anything but typical ... and I'm certain I'm not going to be "typical" any more.
So Bob, I don't know if we'll ever meet face to face on this Earth, but I do know that I am looking forward to riding in the side-car of your motorcycle in Heaven. And you were right - people can say words that change everything - and we're the ones who can say them.
Wish your daughter the best from me as she enters the world of teaching - it's an amazing profession & one that makes the lives of others better in so many, many ways - but most importantly your own.
I'm going to RSVP yes to God's invitations and go after those things He's made me to love ... because I don't need to know everything when I'm with someone I trust.
Trusting in God and doing what I was made to do,
Lindsay
P.S. I'm a huge fan of a thesaurus too.

8 comments:
Awesome Linds! What a blessing!
UNBELIEVABLE!!! But, then again, it is such a Bob Goff response ..... calling to let you know that YOU made HIS day!
So, so glad you texted him ..... what a blessing!
This was so neat to read and it brought tears to my eyes. I guess that kind of day. :) What an AMAZING phone call. It would make my day to hear from you. :) I have to say tho, "who doesn't have a texting plan??? LOL. Anyway, so neat that you made his day and got a call from him. I have never heard of his book, but it sounds like one I need to read and want to read. Have a GREAT rest of your week.
SO COOL!
You are such a GREAT spokesperson for soooo many, especially OUR LORD! So, so smiling at watching the ways He is at work in and through you and all the Sweet blessings that follow!!! Love you sweet friend!
P.S. And, now...I'm going to buy that book :)
What a great story. When Bob said you made his day, he was telling the truth. Incredible. All of us now get the chance to live like Bob. Incredible.
I saw your review from Facebook and I felt the exact same way after reading it...posted my thoughts a few days ago. Really makes you rethink life, huh?
Wow! Very cool. Can't wait to read it!
Post a Comment