August 7, 2012

likable.



Dear Sofia,

2 years ago, you were born on a hot July day.  I was there and watched in awe as you came into this world.  You were loved before your first cry ... and you still are.

I don't live near you and only see you a handful of times throughout the year, so I don't expect you to come running when you see me, but I would welcome it!  I really would.


You're stubborn, carefree, have a bit of a strong will, and can win the hearts of everyone you smile at - including mine.

Here's the funny thing ... you don't like me.

There, I said it.

You watch me out of the corner of your eye and it's always from a distance.  Maybe it's the camera that's  strapped across me, or maybe it's the 'roughness' in my voice when I'm getting after Mason & Mack.  It might even be how crazy my expressions are or the movement of my hands when I'm talking.  None of us can quite figure out what it is, but there is definitely something that keeps you about 5 feet away from me at all times.



Don't worry, I don't take it too personally, but it does have me questioning my 'likability' just a bit.

Maybe I tell too many stories.

Maybe I have too many freckles.

Maybe, maybe, maybe.

You see, here's the deal.  Whether you've realized or not, you've taught me something this summer.  You've taught me that being likable isn't always about people wanting to be right next to you all the time.

Being likable might mean that someone is watching you from a distance, wanting more of what you have, and being ok with just watching and following along. That's likable.

It might  mean that someone is just reading about you - not even really knowing you that well in real life - and they're feeling like they're sitting on the back porch drinking tea with you.  That's likable.

And it could possibly be that there just isn't enough time in the day, or month, or year to connect with everyone on a level that makes you more than just friends.  Time together or not, it's still likable.

We all want to be liked ... and loved a lot too.

We all want to have that 'connection' with people that makes us feel alive and well.

We want others to want us.


Well, what if that's not what it's all about?

What about just living a purposeful life - where 'connections' happen on different levels and in unexpected places?

Where you make a random stop in a store and end up visiting for an hour.  

When you pick up the phone and call the person you've been meaning to call for months.

When you stop worrying about being likable and start liking yourself.

When you write a letter and actually send it.

When you realize that less is more and pinterest isn't everything.

That's what makes you likable.



Not the designer clothes.

Not the most amazing website.

Not the perfect porch.

Not folded laundry.

Not the largest fan club.

Not anything but Jesus.




You let me carry you across the sand one afternoon.  You weren't too sure of the feel against your bare feet, and I was the only option.

You looked at me and then carefully reached upward - uncertain of what might happen, but trusting that the arms reaching back to you were strong and steady... and maybe even a bit likable too.

................................

I'm learning that it really doesn't matter how close or far away you are from me ... all I want is for you to catch a glimpse of Jesus and find Him likable too.

Love,

 your aunt Linds

4 comments:

Kerry said...

She's warming up to your winning smile ..... I knew she'd get there eventually ..... cause YOU ARE so likable :-)!!!

Hillbilly Goddess said...

This is beautiful. Period.

Kristie said...

Good stuff! we could all do a little less worrying and a little more leaning into Him and resting in His love cause He likes us ALOT no matter what :)

Crystal said...

L - I have loved you from the first time I read your blog! Your words, your photos, your heart all make you precious. Thanks for sharing with me - and for being a reflection of God's joy and love!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin