September 19, 2007

What do you have to lose?

As I sat on the floor of my bedroom a few weeks ago - organizing the shelves on one of my many bookshelves, I stared in awe at the number of journals I've filled over the years.
Some are journals I kept while reading a book or doing a bible study.
Some are filled with verses and quotes.
Some are filled with day to day happenings in my life just a few short years ago.
... and some are filled with prayer requests and praises to God for His goodness, mercy & love.

As I flipped through the pages of the journal my friend Liz and I kept together almost 10 years ago I smiled to myself and instantly knew what I needed to post about. So here goes:

Liz and I were friends instantly. We both lived on the "quiet" floor of East Dorion. I still can't believe I lived on the quiet floor. Anyway... We had some similarities, but the real bond that glued us together was Christ. I remember her suggesting one day that we meet once a week and share struggles/praises/life with each other, keep a prayer journal, and commit to spending 30 minutes together focusing on prayer. I wasn't much of a prayer warrior during that time in my life, in fact, my prayer life is pretty sporadic and definitely goes through seasons, but I was game. What did I have to lose?
At first I wasn't always comfortable telling her my struggles and felt a little ridiculous asking her to pray about a test coming up, or my relationship with a friend, or my self-esteem... but as time went on, it got easier and with each passing week I grew to rely on our "prayer time" for strength to make it through the "challenging" times that college life brought.
And now... just because I am out of college doesn't mean that I don't crave that weekly time where my thoughts and feelings are handed over to God. Don't get me wrong, I still pray each and every day - during good times and bad - but having a partner, a journal, someone to hold me accountable... that is what I miss. I need that list - where requests are made known and then circled and starred and highlighted when answered. The challenges of college don't even compare to the challenges of married life, children, a career... I could go on and on. Why can't I have that "journal" again in my life at the age of 31? Hmmmm....

so... I started a new journal on September 9th.
A journal that has only a few pages filled so far, but each page lists friends (bloggers and non-bloggers) and specific things I'm earnestly and whole-heartily praying for them. Some have asked specifically for prayer in certain areas of their life, but the majority I just pray for and hope that God is touching their lives in some way. I pray for peace, for assurance, for love.
I don't have time this fall to attend a bible study, but I do have time to pray, and so here
I am - challenging myself to sincerely and honestly pray for myself and others and watch God work!

So where do you fit in? Well...
This blog has brought so many people into my life, and I've been totally and completely blessed by the relationships it has created, restored, and inspired.
My request to those of you who read it:

Email me at murdock@eotnet.net . Give me something specific to pray about for you and your family. Prayer is powerful. It is a direct line to God where the call-waiting beep doesn't interrupt, where there are no overage fees, where it's as real as you want to make it.

I'm not an "in-your-face" Christian. Never have been, and don't think I ever will be. I live my life in a simple and honest way, hoping to show others who God is and what He can do. I'm passionate about Him and feel that the best way for me to share Christ with others is by being the woman He has created me to be.
Trusting, caring, honest, open, sincere, and worthy of His goodness, mercy & grace.

Join me - what do you have to lose?!

11 comments:

Becky said...

Love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love that I know I am on your list!
You are the best!

Kirsten said...

You have inspired me! Love you!

Melissa said...

Thank you friend. You are always in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

You are awesome Linds!

Michelle said...

I would like to pick up journaling again. I have started and quit so many times. I just might take your challenge.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Linds, this is a really great post and whether I am on your list or not, I certainly love the fact that if I want prayer I can ask for it. You are certainly a very very special person.

Love ya,
Tanya

Anonymous said...

Love this post! I, too, am very passionate about prayer, so I'll tell you what, I'll email you my prayer request if you will email me yours!

Shannon said...

You Have Mail!

Amy Tolar said...

So comforting to know there's always someone praying for me. Love that! Thank you for your generous spirit & loving nature!

Ronda said...

You are an angel straight from Heaven!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin