October 19, 2008
Frequently Asked Questions ... and a few answers.
What kind of camera do you have?
The Canon Rebel xti is my first SLR. I bought it 5 months ago. I chose to buy the body only and bought the 50mm f/1.8 lens to go with it. That lens has no zoom, so my body is the zoom. If I want to be closer, I jump the fence ... if I want to be further away, I jump back over the fence. Most of the time, I shoot with the lowest ISO possible and in the AV mode. I also set my " white balance" to {shade} most of the time. I feel like the shade setting makes my pictures feel "warmer" without editing them - and the less I have to edit the better.
I also have the Canon 3SIS that has amazing zoom, video, and is still my favorite because it does so much.
If you're not in the market for SLR, go for the 5SIS (the new version of the 3SIS) ... it will do a fantastic job for you.
What do you use to edit your photos?
I use Picasa (free download from Google) most often. It's easy, it's not hard to understand, and it re-sizes your pictures for sending in emails and for blogs very easily.
Photoshop Elements 4 is my other editing software. I purchased it over 5 years ago when Ian and I bought our first camera. It is what I use to make my banners, add the "burned edge" to my pictures, and edit pictures that need a little more than what Picasa offers. It is not as easy to understand and requires practice. 5 years later, and I'm still learning stuff. There are great books about how to use it (I just haven't bought any of them) ... and Pioneer Woman Photography offers tutorials every so often too.
Do you take your camera everywhere?
Yes, pretty much. It is dusty and well loved and not even a year old yet. I love capturing the life of my family. I love looking back and remembering the "not-so-exciting" moments that have made our life interesting and unique.
Is photography something you want to continue to pursue?
Well ... I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher, and a whole lot more. I truly enjoy that photography has become a hobby that I love, but realistically, it's just that - a hobby. I love my job, I almost always love the busy schedule we have with each season, and pursuing something more with photography than what I already do seems a bit much ... especially when I remind myself that my life motto is to {live simply}. :)
My camera captures my family and the area we live in, in amazing ways. That's what I love.
Someday, in 20 years or so, when I'm retired, maybe I'll do more, but today - it's just for fun. It's for my family, for my friends, and for my blog. :)
What do you do with all of the pictures?
I have enlargements (8x10, 11x14, 12x18, 12x12) all over my house. Lately I've been framing them in the {CLIPS} frames from IKEA ... just really enjoying the photos with no mattes.
I back-up all my pictures on my external hard drive each week as well, and when I have extra time, I burn them onto disks. I also have them stored online at ScrapbookPictures.com.
What I will do with all of these thousands of pictures ... who knows, but they're safe :)
I also make note cards with my pictures instead of buying cards. It's a lot more personal and cost effective for me to print a variety of pictures, buy some card-stock and adhesive to make note-cards to send to those important and special people in my life. I still love a good Hallmark card, but my own cards are most likely what a person will get when I send them a note.
Does your husband care that you always have your camera?
Hmmm. No comment.
Why don't you write for the paper more often?
Well, honestly it's a {time} thing. Up until now, I haven't written anything new for the paper that hasn't already been on the blog. I figure that if it goes over well on the blog, the public will like it too {or not}. :)
Are you going to have more kids?
I'm good with two. God doesn't give us more than we can handle. But, my doctor says ... never say never. I'm pretty sure 2 is it!
Where do you buy your clothes? :)
GAP jeans are my favorite. I also shop at Old Navy, Target, Andees {a local shop here in town}, and my new favorite is online at Modbe. I'm all about comfort, but a good pair of Franco Sarto boots and long jeans just MAKE MY DAY!
Are you a cowgirl?
Um. No. I am a farm/ranch wife that rides the 4-wheeler & isn't afraid to get dirty or work, but I'm not a cowgirl. We have beautiful horses that love for me to take their pictures ... and I know they prefer that I let the men in my life ride them. I'm sure that is what they whispered to me just last year.
What is your favorite thing about your life?
That God has given me a wonderful family, the hardest-working,yet loving husband, two beautiful boys, amazing friends, a comfortable home, and the ability to see, hear, taste, feel, and smell His love. Even when I don't understand all that life brings {which has been often lately} ... I know His love is greater than I can even comprehend.
Any other questions that you have ... feel free to comment or email me ... I'm more than happy to answer them (well, most of them)!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Happy Sunday!
How fun to read all the questions you get and your answers...You really are a truly, talented, gifted girl..and what's even better is you use it all to shine for Jesus!!!
As for being a "cowgirl" the answer truly is YES...any girl that has to in anyway help with the farm animals, ever finds hay flakes in her hair or has to put on a pair of "muck" boots...is definitley a "cowgirl" in my book!
May today be filled with many warm, picture capturing moments...and a LOT of God's Ta-Da's!!! Sweet blessings!
WOW! You amaze me, yet again.
I am thinking it was about 2 years ago that you had emailed ME to ask questions about Photoshop, and photography, and NOW LOOK AT YOU! You are ROCKIN' the photo's! (And Kickin' My Butt!)
Now, I get to learn from you!
Love you! Have a great (beautiful) Sunday!
love this post!
I loved learning more about you! I want to sit down with you and learn so much more! You'll have to help me with Picassa, I love it too but I'm not as experienced with it as you.
Hope your enjoying your weekend and family!
Wishing you the best week!:)
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
now- I"m going to try and figure out a way to STAR this post of yours so I can come back and make referals.
I LOVED the card from you! You should SO sell those on Esty!! Like you need one more thing to do ;)
Just like the doctor I too say never say never.
I can speak from experience. I thought I was done with two wonderful little boys but the lord decided we needed a little girl thrown into the mix.
She sure does have a different outlook on thing than the boys do sometimes, as I'm sure you'll see these next couple of days.
You are wonderful, thanks for your help and caring. :)
Always great to get to know you better. I too wish we could sit down and have a cup of coffee together. Maybe someday...
Great post Lindsay. It was fun to hear your answers. =)
Well, see what happens when I do a little bloggy research?! I find the answers to all my questions!
thanks!!
and I LOVE your header btw.
Post a Comment