October 9, 2008

The Future Tiger Woods & Annika Sorenstam

We've been reading about athletes this week in 2nd grade.

We've written about our favorite sports.

One of our books was about Nancy Lopez. She is a legendary golfer that I used to dream of being. My 2nd graders have absolutely no clue who she is/was, but they do have an appreciation for golf, especially after today.

I was a golfer. I guess I still am. Just a bit "rusty."

When I was a junior in high school {long, long ago... like 15 years ago} I placed 3rd at the State Tournament.

At the end of my senior year our team placed 1st and I placed 6th individually.

I was dedicated.

I loved to practice - especially when I was having a "good" day. The rest of the team would be in the suburban ready to go, and I'd still be putting. I wouldn't quit on the bad days.

I didn't like to lose.

I really liked to win.

I guess you could say I was competitive. I'm pretty sure I still am.

I coached the high school golf team when I moved to this community I now call home & truly enjoyed it (minus the high-school girl drama every once in a while ... right Tiff :)) It was fun to share one of my passions with others and help them enjoy this game that I loved.

I haven't played more than one or two rounds a year since marrying my rancher/farmer, but today, when I pulled out my 7 iron and grabbed a handful of whiffle balls, I was 17 again. This game that seemed to define me just a few years ago, was back ... and in the eyes of these seven and eight year olds, I was a professional. Oh, if they only knew what a professional really looks like.

My reading group (12 today) became little Tiger Woods' and Annika Sorenstams ... and in their world - for about 15 minutes, they were the stars!!


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great introduction to the great sport of Golf! And today the weather was just as cold as many of the days that you had when you hit the "links"!
Love the smiles on the kids faces .... Go, Rocky Heights Raccoons, Go!

Sweet Blessings said...

Hey, that's amazing...Thanks for sharing that little fact about yourself...Now...can I please sign up for a lesson??? Mr. PPRM won't take me...he said something about it being a "quiet sport" :D ha, ha....You may have just created the dream of becoming the next golf legend in one of those second graders today! I'm thinking golf is calling your name again....Sweet blessings!

Cindy Schimel said...

I so understand how you are feeling after a day of teaching second graders. It is almost 10:30 at night and my ears and feet are still telling me they worked too hard today. Do you ever catch yourself listening to two students at once?
You asked about he lens I got. I got the one that Robert let be borrow for a day of photography. It is a Canon 24-105. I am very excited to use it more. I was really bummed when I couldn't register for Karen's photography class because our school had blocked her site. :(
Enjoy your weekend.

Anonymous said...

That is SO cool!
I hope I get the chance someday to share skiing with others like you are with golf.
you rock! :)

Kristie said...

truly in awe of the dedication you have to your students!! It's beautiful, it's something that these students will treasure FOREVER; it's RARE; it warms my heart!!

Love to you today!

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

very cute post! almost made me wanna golf...almost

Anonymous said...

Yep those kiddos are so lucky to have you as a teacher!

Michelle said...

You are such a blessing! What a fabulous experience for those kids!

Tiffany said...

Ok seriously... next spring. WE WILL go golfing.

How fun for the kids!

Yes... the drama of high school girls sports. Never ceases to amaze me. But it would NOT have been the same without you!!

Anonymous said...

You should have plenty of "Rough" to practice in at your place, LOL....

I was the same way with Roping..Seems like a lifetime ago.

The best day ever was with a Practice Dummy tho..I taught a kid at a Horse Expo in Spokane. He was going through Chemo and for some reason took a shine to me and practicing. He was a great kid. Kind and Patient and picked it up quickly.

He had never touched a rope prior to that.

A year later I saw his mom at the same show...He had lost his battle with cancer. She wanted to thank me as they bought him a rope and Dummy head and she said he practied lots. She told me he had found a lot of peace and enjoyment in it...

I don't know why we get the passions we do... I do know passing it on pays, you never know who you will touch...

I Love the picture of your "Golf Kids", Keep with them!

Mr PPRM

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin