My chair.
My feet hurt (and not because of the shoes I was wearing), my eyes itched (this dang wind we're blessed with), and sitting down as quickly as possible seemed the sensible thing to do.
I looked around my room gazing at the empty desks with chairs turned upside down on top of them.
My students had a rough day today. I had a rough day today. We just couldn't get our groove. We'd have it, and then suddenly as if a switch had been flipped, we'd lose it.
There were tears, there were hurt feelings, there were arguments. Don't get me wrong - we DID learn today - really, we did, but boy was it a challenge.
We enjoyed lunch together today, we cashed in our Blue Bucks today, we got new library books today, we wrote thank you notes today. We learned about compassion, we learned that sometimes it's best to just be quiet, we learned that we have a lot of work to do when it comes to becoming the best we can be. (but don't we all)
I sat there and stared. I stared at the list of positive, encouraging things my students said about one of their classmates today and smiled. We did learn something today.
And then, I saw it. The agenda hanging out of her desk. I got up and moved her chair and found her reading folder too. I could have just left it. I didn't. It would have been easy to, but I didn't. I gathered the things she needed to have taken home with her (that she hadn't) and dialed the phone number I had dialed just last week.
"Can I bring her homework?"
"Yes, I mean ... if you have time ... you would do that?"
"Of course I will ... I'll see you in a little while."
I loaded my basket up with papers to correct, my plan book to look over, and my camera. My nieces met me at my door & we walked to the car. Car seats had to be moved, the front seat was filled with backpacks and coats, and once again I found relief in just sitting. Oh how tired I was.
We pulled up to the house. I grabbed the notebook and agenda and walked up the steps. I was greeted with a smile. In my five minutes standing inside the home of one of my students, I never saw her. I saw the life size cowgirl she made during Round-Up week. I saw her chore chart. I saw her color-coded day of the week chart. I saw her home. And even though I didn't see her in person, I still felt like I saw her.
I think that teachers in the days of Laura Ingalls Wilder spent time with families. They visited homes. They made the extra effort when it would have been easier to turn the other way. They were real.
I wanted to be that teacher today. The one who visited the home of my student. The one who could have said, "She should have remembered" and instead said, "I want to help."
There are days when my it seems that I've taught nothing. There are days when nothing seems to be learned. Today was one of those days. It really was, but then again ... it wasn't. I taught, I learned, and those 23 (24 tomorrow) students of mine learned something too.
The visit I made - it wasn't for me. It was for them. It was to show that together things will be taught ... and we all will learn.
This is on my door.
I think I need it in more places than one.
I think I need it in more places than one.
17 comments:
Oh, Lindsay. Not sure why I am crying!! Other than the fact that your compassion and LOVE are so very touching! Thanks for being radiant in a dark world. Love to you!
Love this post... I remember in teacher school they told us how powerful a home visit can be. I have always remembered that, but just felt too busy and too shy for that matter. You are inspirational once again. Thanks for updating this thought in my head. I'm wondering where the little girl was.
..and you don't understand why I look up to you?!
I know you're up to 24 tomorrow...but can I come, or any one of my 3 children? :) I'm in school (jr. year) working on my el.ed. degree (for the 2nd time in my life)so I appreciate your raw honesty and even more your servant heart - one that wasn't worried about the test scores today - but rather the hearts of your students! Love that!
Thank YOU for being YOU and for touching those 24 lives in ways you'll never know! I'm praying each day brings contentment, satisfaction, and many sweet blessings as you help your class grow...and I just know when this year is over, they will touch your heart as none ever have before. Sweet blessings!
what a blessed group of 24 today, just blessed.
thanks for sharing this part of your day with us, and telling it like it is!
You sound like a teacher I wish my Carter could have next year. You really care about your students!! Thank-you for being one of those teachers!!!
May you continue to shine each and every day! Lives will be forever changed by the love that you choose to share even when it's easier to just go home.
Hey Lindsey- Teri here, finally stopping to post rather than just quietly enjoy (yes, snoop) your blog. You are a FANTASTIC teacher, and worth your weight in gold. I have tons of admiration for all you do, and that you have a "happy heart" regardless of the day, events, etc. good or bad. (Daily I find myself reminding my kids of this..."Have a happy heart"...yet it's such a strugle for me, despite my countless blessings!). Thanks for sharing yourself via this blog. It's truly a joy and an inspiration to read.
Can someone nominated this woman for Teacher of the Year. Im serious!!
Ok... so my job lately has been OVERWHELMING and I find myself becoming numb... this post encourages me to keep on! YOU are incredible! Kids are blessed to have you!
I have got to stop reading this at lunch - I return with red eyes and the sniffles. Not sure why I am teary, but this is the second time today you made me that way. Your compliments at Breakfast of Champions this morning show how much you let your students touch you and the words you said about that little boy will touch him forever. He stood there beaming because of you, because you are his teacher and because you are a great teacher. Once again - I am blessed to have you in my life.
Bryn's comment makes me so proud of you! I know that your school days have been tough lately BUT you can be assured that God will give you His strength to persevere. He has gifted you to be His ambassador in the classroom .... and WAY TO GO THE "EXTRA MILE" for your students!
I am hoping you are knowing you were lead back to the classroom and you were lead to that home. It really is the simple things. I always look forward to conferences because it gives me another peek into these little ones I spend my days with.
This year I happen to have about 6 of my 24 students that live within one block of my house. I 'stopped' by the bus stop on the way to school to ask someone to stop throwing rocks in the road. A little kindie kid, said, "You live here?" I said yep, we (teachers) are everywhere. I tickled me.
See new post on A Penny Thought regarding...silly LOLs...see above comment/typo. Oops.
Oh Linds. Know that you touch so many lives on a daily basis. Those kids are so blessed to have you as a teacher...hold on to that when those inevitable tough days come...God has you just where He wants you!
You have such a wide-open, servant heart. Love this post! Keep on keepin' on, girl. The workers are few...but the harvest is plenty.
Post a Comment