October 20, 2007

Being "Human"

Stepping back into the full-time working mom~farmer/rancher wife mode has been interesting.
I'm learning a lot about myself.
I'm seeing things from a different view.
I'm smiling & appear to be doing "great" to the world around me, but am struggling with my attitude inside - especially at home.
I'm tired.
I'm searching for ways to be more efficient.
I'm human.

My habits aren't all they're cracked up to be.
The organizational skills I once had mastered are now fuzzy and jumbled.
I am still a professional multi-tasker & probably always will be.
I don't react in positive ways as often as I want to.
I expect perfectionism from my husband and children, but need to look in the mirror.
I'm a great friend to a lot of people, but still question who I really am.
I'm human.

I'm sitting here tonight - having some quiet time to reflect and think about me.
...and I can't help but wonder: What God is seeing when He looks at me?
Is He seeing what I'm seeing?
Is He wishing that he was seeing something else?
Is He watching me roll my eyes ?
Is He hearing the frustration in my voice?
Is He crying with me, for me, or because of me?
Is He hoping for more time with me?

My book of Lists to Live By is open yet once again.
My Max Lucado books are stacked about 2 feet high on the table next to me.
My Message Bible is open to James.
My heart is heavy, but I know that God is at work.

I have two lists to share with you. As I read them, I stopped... & pondered... & prayed... & re-read them at least 5 times.
These lists contain things I "know."
These lists contain things I do (sometimes).
These lists are now taped to my bathroom mirror.

TO BE A GOOD FRIEND
1. Smile often; laugh aloud now and then; giggle even.
2. Become aware of several things that you especially enjoy. Watch for others who enjoy those same things.
3. Identify an acquaintance who has a need you can supply. Offer yourself.
4. Learn to enjoy being alone with yourself. Identify what elements of living enrich your life. Incorporate them in your daily routines. If you are happy being with you, it's likely others will enjoy your company too!
5. Forget what you give, and remember what you receive.
6. Be the one who is there doing when others are asking "Is there anything I can do?"
7. Listen - even in the silence.
(from "Friends Through Thick & Thin")

WATCH WHAT YOU SAY
1. Never tell jokes that slander.
2. Never criticize in public unless you: have already expressed your disappointment with the other person in private, have already taken someone with you to discuss the grievance with the person, and are absolutely convinced that public reprimand is necessary and will be helpful.
3. Never say anything about anyone in their absence that you wouldn't say in their presence.
(from Max Lucado - "God Came Near")


Both lists are powerful.
Both lists are worthy of being followed.
Both lists convicted me.
Both lists reminded me of the person I need to strive to be... ALL the time.
Both lists are the desire of my heart.
Both lists are affirmations that I AM HUMAN and that I need to remind myself time and time again of these simple words:

~ Treat others the way you want to be treated.
~ Say things that you would want others to say.
~ Act in a way that is a reflection of God at work in you.
~ If it doesn't feel right - don't do it, don't say it, don't even think it.


I said some things this week I shouldn't have said.
I let frustrations take over.
I let things get to me & didn't want to let them go.
I thought I knew best when I really didn't.
I was human.

and now... as a NEW week begins, I'm going to do my very best to focus on, pray for, and radiate these things:

It's best to listen much, speak little. James 1:19 TLB

"The humble heart honors others." (Max)

"Try to treat people the way you want God to treat you." (Max)

15 comments:

Brenna said...

Lindsay,
Hope this next week brings you the peace/steadiness you need.
... and thankyou.

Michelle said...

Wow..wow... wow... ditto ditto ditto... I couldn't have said any of that better myself.

Anonymous said...

Love you Linds!
I am going to be praying you have a good week!

Anonymous said...

It's good to see things in ourselves that God wants to change.....The Spirit is convicting me, too, sweetie!

I will be praying that God's fruit of the Spirit will have control in your life/and mine while we prepare to leave for Montana.

Love you Linds!

Katie said...

Linds~I love seeing God at work in you! Have a great week, my friend!

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

I was feeling sooo overwhelmed a few weeks ago, and as I was looking for a song to sing in church, I fould this song that is my new favorite. It did not just speak to me, I litterally felt a wave of peace come over me as I listened to the words. I have them written out and will send them to you in a regular email as an attachemnt. It is Brian Littrell, "I'm in Over My Head". You can download it for $1. I will find you the website for that if you want.
May the Lord bring you the same peace thru this song that it has brought me.

Tiffany said...

Wow. Those lists are certainly convicting to me. thanks for sharing! I'll be learning and trying to better myself and follow God's path right along with you!
Thanks for helping out with Jillian's shower by the way... it was GREATLY appreciated! :o)

Ronda said...

Thanks for giving me more food for thought as I retire to bed here real soon. Going to a new school this week. Praying that I can be more like those lists you have shared with us. Lindsay, thank you for being you. I love you just the way you are.

Kirsten said...

Praying for you sweet sister! I love you. Thanks for your openness and willingness to share. Conviction is a good thing.

Melissa said...

Love the saying "Treat others the way you would want God to treat you" So much to learn from that. Have a wonderful week. Thanks for being an inspiration.

Dorothy said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful post. Wise words, teacher lady. Words I needed to hear (read) and words I need to reflect on. I am going to print this post. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Love you!!

Stacy B said...

Oh Lindsay, I feel your frustration and admire how you are always looking inside to become a better person. You are a doing your best as a friend, mom, wife, teacher, and person. love you

Kailin said...

These are great lists. It is so great that you are thinking of how HE is looking at you. Have a wonderful week!

Sharon said...

This was an amazing and powerful and honest and truthful post. I have a feeling I will be revisiting it the future! And I have a feeling I will be purchasing a couple new books in the near future! Thank you so much for sharing these thoughts with us!

Amy Tolar said...

Wonderful things to think about, and great lists! Thank you again for stretching my mind and heart!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin