September 1994.
Listen to Love was tucked away in our belongings.
Allison & I were just beginning life on our own.
Life away from our small town.
Life apart from each other.
We set out for two different worlds - two different colleges - two different lives.
13 years later - in our two different worlds - in our two different lives - we're still friends... best friends.
13 years later - we still have our Listen to Love books tucked away for safe keeping... the awesome, inspiring, poetic book that my mom knew we needed to have as we headed our separate ways. The book she herself had tucked away as her college adventure began.
Listen to Love.
I'm leaving for Montana tomorrow.
So excited.
So ready.
So thrilled to visit this beautiful country my best friend calls home.
My best friend is getting married.
My best friend who knows me almost better than I know myself is becoming a "MRS".
My best friend who has waited patiently for the right "MR" is giddy with excitement.
My best friend has listened to love.
I've been trying to find the perfect words to write in her card.
I've been praying for wisdom in knowing just what to say.
I've been looking in all of the books I own for just the right quote or verse.
I've found it.
It was here all along, sitting on the shelf.
Listen to Love.
Prologue
**Love has many voices. Love sends its greeting in the smile of a friend, the contented sighs of a baby, the felt whispering of the Spirit.
"God is love," says John the Evangelist. "He who dwells in love is dwelling in God, and God in him."
Love speaks in many places. It leans against the neighbor's fence or comes sniffing into a kitchen filled with cooking. It walk amid the bustle of the city streets or stands on a crowded bus.
Love has many moods. Sometimes love is bold and happy or else it is anxious and hesitant. Sometimes it is riotous and demanding, or gentle and relaxed, or even sober and practical. Sometimes love just waits.
Love comes in all seasons. It rides the icy winds of winter and laughs with raindrops in the spring. It wanders through the restless heat of summer and catches leaves of autumn as they fall.
Listen to love.
Inside my copy of this awesome book of reflections, I found a letter Allison wrote to me 13 years ago.
13 years ago... when we were young and thought we knew everything.
13 years ago... when we were excited to start the new adventures that lie ahead of us, and had no idea where we would end up.
13 years ago... when our friendship could have faded - but it didn't.
13 years ago she wrote:
- Love really is a powerful thing and right now I do not believe I will ever understand everything about it.
- Good relationships allow room for error and growth.
- A good relationship is strong enough that words do not always have to be spoken.
- Our friendship means that I have a person in my life who believes in my hopes and dreams and encourages me to fulfill them. It means I have someone whom I can share laughter, hugs, and special times. It means I'm here to be with you.
13 years ago she was writing about us... about the relationships we had... about life at the age of 18.
On Saturday - this Saturday - October 27th, 2007 ... I'm going to give her those same words (plus a few others). I'm going to hand her a copy of those same words that she wrote to me 13 years ago.
The advice she gave is powerful.
The words she wrote are true.
The insight she had is amazing.
The marriage she is about to begin is all about Listening to Love.
Bozeman... here we come.
16 comments:
This was beautiful. I loved reading this post. Have a wonderful, blessed time in Montana!
brought tears to my eyes; how wonderful! love every minute!
What a wonderful friendship you two have. She is lucky to have you in her life, and you to have her. Enjoy this weekend, drink up the happiness and bath in the love.
How lucky you both were to have such a great connection! Have the BEST time in Montana! Safe travels.
Very true words...Have a wonderful time in the beautiful state of Montanta.
BEAUTIFUL!!
Lindsay, you never cease to amaze me with your ability (giftedness) to put your thoughts down so articulately!!
Allison has a "dear friend" in you, as you have in her!! I can still see "Forever Friends" on your graduation caps :-)!
We're excited to make this trip with you for our "adopted" daughter's wedding!
Hope you have a great time in montana. sounds like you have a great friendship.
Wow Linds. That was so wonderful. Your friend is very blessed to have a friend like you... and how rare it is to find true friendship like you two! Have so much fun in Montana!
Oh, that is awesome! Have a great time!
WOW!!! Very cool. Can I come? :)
That is awesome! So excited for you and for your friend. It is wonderful to have such a great friendship...enjoy every minute of your trip!
What a blessed friendship from God! This was just beautiful! I know you'll have such a special time out in Big Sky Country!
Good friendships must be a gift of the heavenly father. Here's to good friend, reunited acquaintences, and new friends too. Each so precious!
Praying for safe travels for you!
Ah! How nice it is to be loved by a friend! I am glad that you have maintained that friendship! Enjoy your time this weekend! :)
I hope you had a lot of fun and made precious memories! Those special friends we make in high school seem to be the best life-long friends.
Welcome back, friend.
Welcome home and I hope your trip was wonderful!
What a truly fabulous gift to give a dear friend on her wedding day.
Yet another book to put on my list. Speaking of books -- read Captivating on my trip south. Zowie --considering buying a case of that the book to give to various dear sisters in Christ. So very powerful.
Thanks so much for all you share - from your heart - you inspire me friend!!
Post a Comment