November 23, 2008

A Sunday drive...

wasn't what I had in mind today. In fact when my {frozen & exhausted} husband called this morning, I barely let him get "hey - what are you doing today?" out of his mouth before responding {in an unpleasant tone} "Ian - just tell me what do you need me to do?"
This happens often. These phone calls that aren't just "checking in" ... but requesting services ... they happen all. the. time.
I'm trying to have a better attitude. I'm trying to answer the phone with a smile in my voice, but I haven't been as successful as I know God wants me to be. I'm learning ... and as I learn, I know I'm getting better ... but oh, is it a process.

I was raised in a home where Sundays were all about church, meals together, and sports on TV. We relaxed. We took naps. We read a book if we felt like it. We {rested}. And no one thought twice about doing things that weren't easy. Other days of the week were pretty scheduled too, and you almost always knew what to expect on any given day.

I am now the mother and wife and homemaker of a farm/ranch family ... and a teacher too. Any plans I attempt to make {change}. The days never go according to plan & I've learned to just roll with it - or live in misery. My calendar is in pencil ... and lately - it's been blank.
I used to make lists, plan dinner dates, and know that I could keep my word.
I still make lists, dinner dates with friends do happen once in a while, but that "keeping my word" thing ... well, it just doesn't happen, because I find myself not planning out loud anymore. That's not a bad thing, it's {just life} right now.

Today ...

the boys and I enjoyed a great morning together - breakfast, church ... we even matched. :) Silly - I know, but it's fun once in a while.
We got home, checked mouse traps, and fixed grilled cheese for lunch. Naps, a movie, comments on report cards, cookies, laundry, painting with Mason... those were all ideas I had tentatively made in my head. And then... the phone rang.

I wanted to be excited that my husband was calling from the mountain pasture. He's been gone for a couple of days. I wanted to answer with a perky "hello" instead of "yes?"
We have missed him. I have missed him.
But... I knew with the phone call, came the crossing out of my plans.... and my tone was anything but pleasant or cheery.

15 minutes later...

I unlocked the semi trailer. I loaded several 50 lb. salt blocks into the back of the pickup by myself. I transferred car seats. I loaded the boys and the dogs into the pickup. I drove to the feed store. I left my sleeping boys (please don't turn me in) in the pickup as I helped load 50 pound bags of mineral into the back of the pickup. I signed the charge slip. I drove 45 miles. I unloaded the salt blocks and mineral by myself.

And then...

as I drove the 45 miles back to our home, I decided to stop along the way, climb through a fence and take pictures of a pickup I've loved from the first time I saw it when I made my way up Buttercreek Hwy. a few years ago.
I smiled as cows stood on the pavement staring me down.
I crossed about 14 cattle guards - twice.
And somehow, the bitterness and resentment of {losing} my day for our cattle and their unborn calves at the request of my husband disappeared.

I have a life I dreamed of as a child. The one where you walk into the feed store and they know your name. The one where my oldest son knows which barn belongs to which rancher along the winding road toward Karl's. The one where cattle guards, and cattle crossing signs mark your way. The one where loading and unloading mineral and salt is hard work, but it's my work. The one where I am stronger than I ever thought I would or could be. The one where I'm content with less and happy to give more. The one that I live today.





and the mice ... well, I guess they can't read because I left the letter in the cupboard - right in front of the trap ... and those dummies - they continue to invade ... and DIE.


18 comments:

Becky said...

Oh Lindsay, you are so good at all of this. You admit that it is the life that you wanted, and it is the life you love. But at the same time you aren't afraid to share the reality of it. There are readers out there that would hate to do what you do, and wouldn't be able to do it if they wanted. There are readers out there that would love to life your life, so thanks for sharing. =)

Kristie said...

so glad you took your camera!! Those are fabulous shots of that pick-up!!

every day is a good day...some just better than others...

the blessings are there for those that are willing to hang on until the end!

The Lord gives the strength needed to keep pressing forward, to keep hanging on and then just when you think its been too much; more strength shows up and one more day is conquered!

Proud of you for seeing the blessing of an unwanted, unrequested Sunday drive!

Anonymous said...

Love your post Linds, and love that you share all that you do. I especially love your honesty! Sorry your day wasn't exactly what you had planned. I agree that you have a life not all of us want. I love the pictures of the truck, but not sure I love the picture of the mouse. :-) Your letter down below is a scream. :-) You are a great writer. Hope you have a better evening. Rumor has it the Grandparents are on the way. :-) Hope that helps.
Love,
Tanya

Sue said...

I grew up on a cattle ranch on the coast and we NEVER were able to plan to be somewhere. The cows got out or one was hurt, sick, stuck,etc. I know you know. I certainly didn't appreciate it all then. I REALLY do now. We made barn cleaning fun. We hopped over mud humps trying to stay on the grass on top. I did really well!! We flung dried cow pies---another of my talents! Where DID that life go?! It taught me so much and kept me out of the messy part of life. Your kids will love you for it too.

Sweet Blessings said...

Oh sweet sister :D I so am right beside you in this post...why is it when we hear their voices we immediately know WE are needed to do something! It makes me laugh...(of course, not at that particular moment) but in hindsight. You are much better however about accepting your "life as a rancher's wife" than I am...I still am a work in progress there...and I so grew up with those "perfect, quiet Sundays"..and sometimes, I still get a few!!!

I LOVE your new banner, the awesome pictures you took time to capture today..even Mr. Mouse...!!! Hey, there just needed to be one of you doing all that "loading & unloading" :D

Most of all...I am just blessed to have a kindred spirit out there..enjoying & growing in the world of our "cattlemen" just like I am...it's good to NOT feel alone!

May God continue to bless & shine on you in extraordinary ways! Sweet blessings!

Sweet Blessings said...

P.S. As a survivor of a mouse invasion myself...I wanted to share about some nifty little traps that are easy to use & make disposing of the creature a snap...I think I got mine at NW Farm Supply..anyway they are plastic, almost clothespin style..the mouse gets trapped, you squeeze the pin part, and they pop out..no touching at all! And, they seem less harsh...at least I never had to clean up any blood splats :D Okay, probably more info than you needed....Happy trapping...Sweet blessings~!

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

I love this post, it totally describes how I feel time and time again.... thankful... thankful for the seemingly inconvenient interruptions that are blessing in disguise.

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

AND I LOVE the truck pics!!!! so blue! so distressed.... amazing.

Katarina said...

I love that you used your unplanned Sunday drive to take pictures of something you have loved, rather than growing resentful of what you had to leave behind. Yes it's a choice, and good for you for making the 'right' one today, you are teaching your boys the importance of doing things (even unplanned, often tough things) joyfully (or at least without much complaining and grumbling). Praying that those chocies keep getting easier for you.
The pictures are perfect. . .even the one of the mouse...although it's kinda cute (just not anywhere NEAR my cupboards!) Good luck 'helping' them relocate.

Anonymous said...

the pictures of the truck are just beautiful.

Thanks for sharing your day - to a city girl it sounds like bliss. :-)

Anonymous said...

What? No hauling of a change of clothes up to Karls? I am "Cyberducking" as I say this,

;-}

Mr PPRM

Anne said...

Don't you wish that pick up could talk. How many boys drove a date home and stole a kiss in the front seat? How many loads of salt and minerals did it's bed haul? How many farm wives were muttering as they ran one last errand for their man? Loved it. Hope the mice hunting wraps up soon. Maybe you should leave one in a trap as a visual warning, since they didn't read your letter.

ShelliGib said...

Nice post! Why is so hard for us to accept changes in our preplanned day? We can't plan life, why do we think we can plan our days! It looks like you have a unique and beautiful life! Enjoy all the unplanned events!

Stacey said...

Cool truck! Have you ever been to www.kenrockwell.com?? He is a professional photographer who takes pics with Canon and Nikon both and rates both and displays pics from both and gives tips, etc. Anyway, he just had some photos up of a truck very similiar to yours pictured...if you have time sometime!

Enjoy your week! Happy Thanksgiving!

Kim said...

Linds....I love reading your blogs. It makes me feel like I am sitting with you on the couch listening to you tell me a story of what has been going on. It also makes me miss you so much! Thanks for sharing your life with me. I love you friend!

Mollie C said...

LOVE your pictures of the truck!!! And i totally know what you mean, i always set my Sunday's aside for church and the relaxing, and they always always fill up....sometimes i get frustrated and sometimes i just try to capture the moment I'm in, like you did! It helps!
MUCH love to you all! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Lindsay said...

I loved this post. I struggle when my hubby isn't home by 6pm. I'm spent by then and I really need his support. Sometimes I just have to sit back and remember, like you, that this (being a SAHM) is what I've always wanted, and him working is abling me to do so. What beautiful pictures.

Deb said...

Sounds like a wonderful Sunday (the planned and unplanned).

I too recall the days when Sundays were for church and family. Most stores were closed (including the feed store), dinner was early and The Wonderful World of Disney came on at 7:00 p.m., then off to bed. On some occations there were other events planned as a family like fishing trips, rides to the mountains to mushroom hunt or cut firewood.

Next time you need to make a heavy haul like that, call and see if one of the boys are available to help, or even myself...I'd love to.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin