Dear Ian,
I drove the pickups a lot this weekend. Especially the old trusty white one. It was a long weekend so I drove more than usual. I didn't hit anything, although there were a couple of close calls near the fence. Thank you for letting me enjoy the warmth of the inside while you do the {hard} part of feeding/loading/unloading. You didn't raise your voice once at me ... and there wasn't any shouting at me to shift or get my foot off of the clutch either - definitely a gift that I bet you didn't even know you gave me.
Who would have guessed 10 years ago I would be the driver of a feed truck, the pusher of a clutch, and the referee of dogs and boys inside the cab of the pickup?
I know you wanted me to back the flatbed up last night, but I'm just not sure I want to learn. It's not that I don't want to be helpful - but there are just some things that are better when you do it. Backing up with a trailer is one of them. Taking pictures is something I am good at - so I think I'll just stick with that & drive forward.
Most of the time I catch the best images of you through the mirror. You don't know I'm taking the picture and you're just doing what you do best - working. Sometimes I wish there were more pictures of you playing, or looking at me and smiling, but then again - that's not what our life is all about.
These pictures tell a huge part of the story of you. Your quiet strength, determination, and understanding of all things cattle. I'm doing my best to understand this life along side you - and although it doesn't appear I'm having the best time all the time - I do want you to know and {believe} that I'm in this for the long haul.
Rain or shine - wind & more wind - I hope I get to take pictures of you and the important parts of our life through the mirror for the rest of my life - and then some.
Love, Lindsay



4 comments:
What a wonderful letter to your husband! It's just what I needed to read today. I had a great big reminder this morning that I need to listen and show I'm listening more often. A piece of grace that's made me pray alot today. ((( HUGS )))
I know Ian is going to love reading this letter from you when he sits down long enough to do that!
What a nice tribute to your hard-working husband!
Ohhhhh what a sweet, sweet post...and I'm pretty sure it will totally touch your cattleman's heart!!! Those pictures are soooo amazing too....I Love one with the cows looking at you and you capturing Ian in the side mirror!! Wishing you LOTS more days free of Loud instructions and true team work! Sweet blessings! P.S. We were working calves by flashlight last night...and beleive it or not...I didn't get any grumpy words from my Mr. either :) I wonder if it has to do with them asking us to "work" on our free day off from school..ha,ha!!!
Can I just say 'Ditto' to all of the comments above. Ok, thanks, because I agree with all of them. :)
Great post again friend - and I agree, the last photo of Ian & the cows is pretty spectacular!
Post a Comment