**NOTE **
the previous post ... the little trip my class took across town to read to some elderly folks ... we weren't the only ones who went.
Several other classes from my school took time last week to spread love and {youthful joy} ... I'm just the only {camera crazy} teacher who likes to document everything ... so, I can't take credit for being {wonder teacher} ... and after you read this post, you'll really think I'm more like {The Teacher from the Black Lagoon}.
..................................................................................................................
Every day I'm {in charge of} 24 seven and eight year olds. My job is to teach them great and amazing skills that enhance their reading, writing, knowledge of math skills like place value, graphing, money, carrying, borrowing ... letter sounds, spelling, landforms, state symbols, maps,life-cycle, bodies, nouns, verbs, sentences, main ideas, paragraphs ... and so much more.
Every day I unlock my classroom door, flip on the lights, turn on the computers, and pray that the day is successful.
Report card time, grading time, end of the trimester time, the beginning of the holidays time ... it's overwhelming. And somehow, magically, I'm supposed to leave all of the {stuff} in my own life at the door when I enter each day, and help these sweet boys and girls who so desperately want to learn become better, brighter people in our world.
It's hard. It's draining. It's challenging. It's mind boggling. BUT, it's my job.
Today, every one of my 24 little sponges was {present}. They practiced parts of small plays they are going to be in. They played at recess. They read books. They started writing letters to soldiers in Iraq. They practiced for their Christmas concert with the other three classes of 2nd graders. They wrote their {weekend reports} in their journals.
and ...they talked ... and talked ... and talked. Due to all of the talking and a few other unmentionable catastrophes, they spent some time with their heads down. Some visited with the principal. Some visited with the counselor. Some struggled to complete even one task of the day.
But... they weren't the only ones struggling today ... I struggled today.
I struggled with knowing how to best teach them when they really wanted to talk more than listen.
I struggled with knowing how to speak calmly when I really wanted to scream.
I struggled with knowing that how I responded to certain challenges affected the entire day.
I struggled. period.
I try really hard to be an effective, positive, and strong teacher all of the time, but at 2:20 today when the lights were low and my students and I just sat in our {quiet} home away from home, staring at each other, honesty prevailed.
I talked, and they listened. I shared my frustrations with them, and they listened. I apologized from my heart, and they listened. The bell rang, and I promised them tomorrow would be better.
Oh, how I pray it is.
... and as I struggle to educate these children, I'm reminded of the inspirational/motivational speaker I admire so very much and a few of the words he wrote directly to me at the beginning of this challenging year ...
..............................................................................................................................
Your statements about yourself are priceless. Be sure to refer back to them on any day that you are feeling discouraged by some tough times in the classroom.
(If you do not experience some tough times in the classroom, you are probably not doing a very good job!)
It is an awesome thing that children do when they bestow the title "My Teacher" upon you. Make every minute count.
Always remember that laughter is one of the keys to being a great teacher. Laugh daily with you students.
Sincerely,
Your admirer,
Mac Bledsoe
......................................................................................................................
He didn't know what my year would be like. I didn't know what my year would be like. It's the end of the first trimester, and my students aren't the only ones who are {learning}.
12 comments:
Praying today will be filled with laughter and learning in your classroom. I know your class was probably grateful for being able to sit and listen while you talked at the end of the day. And just know, that even on the days you and the kids struggle, that you ARE making a difference and teaching them valuable lessons (like how to struggle gracefully and apologize when they can't).
Have a good Wednesday my friend.
Lindser Babe, you are doing a superior job as a teacher...take deeper breaths...and like Mac says, laugh more. What is the worst that can happen? They take away your birthday? :-)
This is your other mother talking. Donna
God did know! And, He never makes mistakes...I Love that in the midst of your struggles you can look to Him..and even more than that...that you can be REAL with your class! They get it when we share from our heart..they just do! Praying today is struggle free...full of lots of laughter, learning, and all that is good! Sweet blessings!
P.S. Even preschooler teachers have "days of struggle", wanting to put some ear plugs in..and just take a nap!!! I think it's this time of year...from now until after Christmas they just seem to be "on vacation"...ha, ha...
This post made me tear up because I feel your pain...I don't have students, but the same scenerio seems to be playing out here at home.
I have no idea how you teach 24 kids THAT age everyday...you are incredibly and uniqely gifted and God is using you in the lives of those little ones. Sometimes He uses us the most on the days we feel like the least.
Praying for you my friend!
oh Linds, I wish there was something profound in my head that I could type for you...
All I can think of is just keep breathing in and out, one foot in front of the other, one lesson at a time and soon...very soon it will be Thanksgiving break!!!
You are an AMAZING woman and you are CHANGING lives daily!!
Praying for a better day for all of you!!
Love to you--
Tears in my eyes... now rolling down my cheek. I, too, have been struggling. I thank you for the encouraging 'Bledsoe words of wisdom'! He is incredible! So are you! Blessing today!
It IS in the tough times that we learn the most ..... and are able to pass on the "learning" to others. I agree with the others that posted that YOU are an amazing teacher and your honesty with your kids will sink into their little heads & hearts over time!
Keep up the good work and believe that you are being used by God to create kids that will make a positive difference in this world!
xoxoxoxox
I LOVE your honesty! I hope your kids appreciated it today. You painted such a picture with this post. I can see the dim room with you and your students. I can see you saying those words. I can see them watching you. I know you give those kids hope everyday and I know the hope for a better tomorrow will prevail.
Have a good Thursday and Friday!!!
Words that EVERY teacher in the world has lived at least a dozen times each day, week, month, year... depending on the year, of course! I may have to print out your post and share it with the three brand new teachers I'm mentoring this year. Somehow, they need to truly know it's not just them. Our conferences start tomorrow... I assume yours are happening about now, too. Good luck, keep smiling.
Oh' Linds,
Hugs to you tonight!
You are an amazing teachers and those kids are blessed to have you!
Kids don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. I don't know where I heard that, but it's always been in the back of my mind in my own attempt to make a difference.
Sometimes the best lessons are the ones learned while heads are down and teachers begin with, "Let's have a heart-to-heart". Hard; but best.
I wish I had some real words of encouragement but all I can think of is, you're in the classroom for a reason. You're making a difference one day at a time. I applaud your honesty and your will.
I love it when I run across people who just love their jobs! Yes - sometimes you hit a rough patch, not unlike parenting - but you get to send them home at the end of the day! You are changing these kids' lives and someday they will appreciate it.
Post a Comment