March 31, 2008

Barbed Wire


Each time I look at this picture I stare at it.

I don't just glance. I stare.

I'm not really sure why, but I can't seem to get away from it. And I don't really want to. There is something that draws me in.

Barbed Wire.

Wire that was once straight and plain and ordinary, twisted into something of purpose. Not perfect, not really pretty, not without pain, but definitely with purpose.

It protects.
It guards.
It secures things in place.
It isn't meant to harm, but can scar.

I don't necessarily see myself as this piece of fencing material, but I do see the need for it in my life.

Who doesn't want to be protected?

Who doesn't guard themselves at times?

Who doesn't want everything to stay in place?


Life is a lot like this strand of wire.
Smooth, sharp, tight, flexible... all at the same time.

It stands the test of time, it doesn't warp easily in the weather... but it does have to be "kept up" if it is going to last.

Proverbs 4:23-27
Keep vigilant watch over your heart; that's where life starts.
Don't talk out of both sides of your mouth; avoid careless banter, white lies & gossip.
Keep your eyes straight ahead; ignore all sideshow distractions.
Watch your step, and the road will stretch out smooth before you.
Look neither right nor left; leave evil in the dust.



Things happen, the wind blows, people change, wire bends, and yet, God remains.

Keep yourself "up" in Him. That's my goal anyway.

16 comments:

Brenna said...

yah, that picture does make you just stare and stare.. whoa - time warp!! ;)

Know that you need to remember to praise God for yourself, for if anyone has influence with me when it comes to Him, it begins in you.

Sharon said...

I love this analogy and am blessed for having read it this evening. Thanks, Lindsay!

Nicole said...

Love this, Thank you.

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Beautiful insight! Also, please tell me you've taken some photography classes, because if you are just that good...I am going to have to feel bad about myself! :) HA!

Anonymous said...

WOW!

Katie said...

Very thought provoking! Also, your photography skills are just amazing! I love your pictures!!
Happy Tuesday!

Anne said...

Great post/pictures. Great things to ponder on.

Anonymous said...

The pictures are incredible......what a gift God has given you through the lens of your camera!

The wisdom you share is also incredible.......a gift God has given you through creativity in writing!

Shannon said...

I love it when a picture I take catches my breath too. Those are both absolutely beautiful...the lighting is warm and yummy and comforting.

Seriously, some of your best work.

ShalomSeeker said...

A really nice analogy. I found and fell in love with this passage in Proverbs my freshman year of college, as I began to realize that I had not guarded my heart, and I had let all kinds of worldly principles and ideas into my heart and mind. And God was faithful to clean me up, but it hurt, and I wished that I had just guarded my heart in the first place.

So right now, my signature on my email ends with:
Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. –Proverbs 4:23

Thank you again for sharing. Lovely words, photos, and reflections of a heart filled with HIM.
-J

Anonymous said...

Great pictures!

Ronda said...

You have struck a chord within me once again. When reading this post, I instictively went to the scar on my leg made from a barbed wire. It is with me for life. If only barbed wire could "talk"...think of the stories it would tell!!!

Becky said...

Love the photos, the words, and your new stamp! What a great watermark. Can't wait to talk to you in person about all of this. =)

Kailin said...

I love how you can find the good in barbed wire...I love reading your thoughts and these pictures are beautiful!

Melissa said...

Those are amazing pictures and amazing words!! Love to you today!

Crystal said...

Linds,
Thank you for your insight! What a concept I've never analyzed before!

And I loved the letter from Mack!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin