I'm not talking about when you look in the mirror.
I'm not talking about when you've just finished applying the perfect amount of mascara.
I'm not talking about when they're so itchy and scratchy, you're ready to trade them in for new ones.
...............................................................
What do they do when they see someone in pain?
What do they focus on in the midst of a storm?
Do they look people in the eye?
Is there a sparkle of hope that others can see?
Do they weep in fear?
Are they focused on others?
Are they focused on you?
Do they let goodness in?
Do they see only what is on the outside of the house or do they look in the drawers of the dresser in the corner of a room and underneath the bed?
..............................................................
I'm wrapping up a lesson on {senses} in my classroom ... and needless to say, I've spent some time thinking about each sense myself.
..................................................................
Sight.
I'm so thankful for it.
My life with my family & camera would be completely different without sight.
I wouldn't see that dimpled chin on Ian & Mack.
I wouldn't see the sunrise through Mason's bedroom window in the mornings.
I wouldn't see the sunset I so desperately need on the days of {harvest}.
I wouldn't see the red tulips on my table.
I wouldn't see the bowl of ice cream I ate last night.
I wouldn't see so very, very much. {through my eyes}
But, I would ...
still feel and touch and know those dimples.
still feel the warmth of the sun as it came through the window and lit up the room early in the morning.
still feel the warmth of the sun fade as the sun set on another day.
still smell the aroma of spring sitting on my table.
still taste the cookies straight from the oven.
still hear the laughter of my boys running in circles with the dogs.
....................................................................
So very much of my world would be different, but it would still be {good} and {blessed}.
....................................................................
Senses work together.
In amazing ways.
And the thing that I've come to appreciate the most about them is that if I was to lose my sight today, or my hearing, or if I was burned horribly like NIE ... I would still {see}.
I would.
And that sight that wasn't based on what my eyes were seeing ... well, I almost think that it would be better sometimes.
It wouldn't be looking at things that cover other things up.
It wouldn't be searching a beautiful, blemish-free face to see what's really inside.
It wouldn't be focused on the world.
.........................................................................
Close your eyes tight.
You can still hear.
You can still touch and taste and smell.
And suddenly, I think you may {see} that there is more to life than looking at things from the outside.
.......................................................................
Eyes Wide Shut.
Not such a bad thing to try once in awhile.
11 comments:
You put a lot of thought into your lessons! =) This post is a good one, it is good to think about what our eyes really 'see' and don't see. what they are really focused on, and what others see when they look into our eyes. Great one Linds!
Brilliant!!
Love the picture of Mason illustrating your post!
You're amazing!
Love it!! :)
Love this Lindsay!
Great post Linds - a good lesson for us all!
you and sarah have me singing brandon heath's "give me your eyes" over and over! such a powerful song! and cool!
Eyes....what a great post...because oh so often we spend our time looking at things on the outside! Thanks for inspiring me to use that sense in many ways...and to appreciate it each second! I Love that as you teach your kids, you learn right along with them! Hope you have a PERFECT evening...and that your eyes see some amazing sites :D Sweet blessings!
This is a great post Linds. It makes you stop and think that's for sure. I love the picture of Mason, it's really great. Hope you are having a good week. Enjoy your parents.
I love the part about seeing what's inside more than what's outside. I got chills thinking about being burned. We'd still be the same inside but would people really try to "see" that? Wow---really made me think.
Very touching post Lindsay!
I.LOVE.THIS!
Post a Comment