January 6, 2009

A Conversation ...

between a mama & her little cattleman:

Mason: Hey mom - guess what?! We're calving.

Me: Really?!!? How do you know?

Mason: Um... there's babies ... and we're camping. Yeah ... me and dad are camping.

Me: Lots of babies?

Mason: Yeah ... um 1, 2, 3, 4 ... yeah 4 ... well, probly more. {in deep thought}

Me: Do you like camping?

Mason: Yep.

Me: So what happened today?!

Mason: That mama died ... and she's in the bottom of the canyon ... and she's not in heaven. Not yet.

Me: Really ... not in heaven?!

Mason: No - the canyon isn't heaven.

Me: Oh. Yeah ... I knew that.

Mason: Yep - she's in the canyon ... all the way down at the bottom .... {in deep thought again}

Me: Well, when does she go to heaven?

Mason: Probly when God pushes the button and gets her.

Me: What button?

Mason: That button - you know ... and then she goes up, up, up {showing me with his hands that the cow is going up, up, up}. She's heavy mom.

Me: Yeah- I know. Mama's are heavy sometimes. So she's not in heaven yet?

Mason: No, Deb's neighbor is and pretty soon that mama will be. Yep ... after God pushes the button.

.......................................................

I'm pretty sure we all enjoyed vacation a little too much.

Trying to get back in the groove hasn't been easy & we're all a little on edge.

Hoping that this funk ends soon & the {cheer} comes back!

........................................................

I'm still trying to figure out the {button} thing. Maybe he thinks the loader will give her a ride to heaven. That little mind of his is always {tickin}. :)

Love that little cattleman of mine ... more than he'll ever know.

19 comments:

Deb said...

As rough and tough(and on the go) that little cattleman is he sure does have a big heart!

Occationally I'll see him looking over at Donna's in deep thought(sometimes thinking about one of the many times he and Aurora were there for a visit or we were doing chores for her) just before he asks me why did she leave. I just explain to him that Donna was super tired and missed her husband a whole bunch and that god thought it was time for her to come and be with him and her husband again. She gets to do anything she wants to without getting hurt, tired or sick.

Deb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

What a precious conversation.

We have lost three horses, a mule, multiple cows and calves, and our dear, old steer, Bambi (a 13yo bummer we kept as a pet) in the past year. My sister's and my kids have seen a lot of death and have the cutest ways of dealing with it.

Kristie said...

The calving season has been hard on your herd this year!!

Praying that the funk surrounding you will be blown away by this afternoon breeze!!

Hope God remembers to push the button when it's my time!;)

Love to you (and your little cattleman)

Sweet Blessings said...

I love that little cattleman of yours too...He was so happy and excited to be at school today :D Sorry, to hear about Mama cow...and I'm praying cheer returns to you soon!!! May God fill your evening with lots of laughter, good food, and just time being in good company! Sweet blessings!

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

precious!

Anonymous said...

Awwwww. That is sweet. I think it's awesome that you take the time to post these stories, so you will always remember them. I always wish I would have been better at documenting words. I take pictures, almost daily... It's the jounaling that I tend to leave out. I love that you will always remember this!

Kailin said...

Oh, I just love your little cattleman... this is a priceless conversation! I hope God pushes the "button" soon:)

Beth said...

What a precious little man! I love the way he thinks! Its so cool that Ian lets him come along with him. I'm sure it makes for some awesome bonding time and will give Mason the best memories.

I'll pray the funk ends soon!

Anonymous said...

Linds,
This is a very precious post. I love your conversation with Mason and I love that you share it with us. I hope that your funk ends soon and that calving season starts to go well. Praying for all of you. Hugs and lots of love for a good rest of your week.

Anonymous said...

Someday you will so thank yourself that you took the time, even on a grumpy day, to write down those words. Such wonderful memories and laughs! I hear you on the end of vacation funk. We even eased in gradually... had a late start again yesterday, so today was the first full day of school since December 12, I think it was. Wow. No wonder kids all seemed as grumpy as we were!! Happy rest of the week.

Sue said...

Some days I want to know where that button is!!!

Jodi said...

What a precious conversation you had, so glad you shared it with your friends. The things that come out of the mouths of our babies....
I guess we never know when God is going to push the button and bring us home.... he definately has a great love for those cattle. Wishing your 'funk' is over soon... Many blessings to you and your Cattlemen!!!

Kirsten said...

Love that little cattleman - and his mama too! Praying for much cheer to come your way soon!

Anonymous said...

I can just picture it!!!

Stacy B said...

He is so grown up. I bet he is loving life in the camper.

Tiffany said...

I love your conversations with Mason!

Pendleton Pathways: International Travel said...

I clicked on comments for this post, because I had to say how PRECIOUS it was. I guess lots of people had the same idea. You'll be glad you recorded this one.

Shannon said...

Priceless story!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin