January 8, 2009

Something in the Night.

What is that noise?

The wind isn't blowing. In fact, it's still.

But there is a crackling sound. And vehicles.

Why is it so bright in my room?

I glance at the clock. 12:35.
{which is really 12:10 because I haven't figured out the alarm clock while Ian's been gone and each time I turn it on, it changes the time}

I quickly spring out of bed, and push back the shades.

Shock.

Horror.

A sick feeling washes over me.

I run out into the front yard in my bare feet, sweats, and t-shirt.

It's warm.

It's still.

The crackling is louder.

The lights of the trucks flash in the dark sky.

I'm sick to my stomach.

This barn I've labeled as a landmark of {home} ... even though it isn't ours ... is gone.

Little is left.

I sigh.

I think to myself - 'praise God the wind isn't blowing' and I just stand and watch.

Helpless.

Hopeful.

It's the beginning of a new day & even though the sky is bright with an orange glow, I know it's not too bright for some.


{this photo was taken standing in my yard ... no zoom}

It's now 5:30 a.m.

5 hours later.

The glow is still there.

The wind is blowing fiercely.

I'm searching through my files for a picture.

A {picture} ... a memory of that barn.

That beautiful, red barn that was once at the end of Tabor Rd.


..........................................................

What a difference an hour, a day, a month, a season can make.

Just a vivid & real reminder that {things} in this wonderful life of mine are temporary.

Who knows what more this day - or the next - might bring.

Faith. Passion. Love. Relationships. Christ.

That's what my focus needs to be on.

Those things that can't be bought.

Those simple {and yet so complex at the same time} words that define my character.

.........................................................

Note: The barn belonged to our neighbors ... I don't know how it started & when I drove by this morning it looked like the house was fine, but everything around the barn was gone or melted.

27 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Linds!! What a site to wake up to. Sorry about the barn it was a great one. But, you are right focus should be on things that can't be bought. Not easy...

Love you my friend!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful barn. Sorry you had to wake up to that this morning, how scary. Keep your focus on the right things and try to have a good day all things considered. Love you,

ShelliGib said...

How scary, but I love you relate the barn to life...so true!

Becky said...

OH my Goodness! What a terrible thing to have happen. Glad you are all OK and the wind wasn't blowing. What a blessing that was! I'm glad you have some pictures of the barn, I'm sure others will like to have them. Glad you're safe.

Anonymous said...

Being from Walowa County where those types of Barns are common, that one always gave me a "Homey" Feeling. It was a Very Cool Barn.... Unfortunate....

Katarina said...

Thankful that the wind wasn't blowing. What a sight to wake up to.

Beth said...

How scary! Glad your place is safe and sound, but so sorry for the loss!

Amy Tolar said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. I will be thinking about and praying for you and your family today.

Hugs.

Kristie said...

OH NO!!! That's terrible!! A great reminder of how temporary this life and it's "things" really are!!

Anonymous said...

oh wow. I can't exactly explain but I have tears in my eyes - wow. material things can take on such importance to us.

Shelby-Grace said...

That was a beautiful barn. I grew up living on a farm and we had many old red barns in the area where I lived. When I see them they bring back lots of memories. Sorry this one is gone.

Thanks for reminding us about what is important!

Anonymous said...

Linds, I couldn't believe you were calling at that time of night. I am really sorry for those folks losing that great barn. It just won't be the same driving out to your place without that landmark. You did a great job, as always, getting your thoughts down in your blog. Things in this world really are temporary, I'm glad you turned your focus to the unseen truths of our faith which are eternal.

Tiffany said...

Oh my gosh!! I guess you can't avoid it living in the country.... i've woken up numberous times growing up at my parents house with something on fire.
So sorry! It was a beautiful barn!

Sarah said...

So sorry. What a huge loss. New construction just never has the feel of a big, old barn. Do you know what started it?

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

oh man, I am so sad for you...
so sad. I LOVED our barn we had in the country... loved it... it was leaning...small... run down.... but I was so attached...

Stacy said...

SO thankful for the still night air and God's provision for you. Thanks for the reminder to 'hold loosely'!

Stacy said...

SO thankful for the still night air and God's provision for you. Thanks for the reminder to 'hold loosely'!

Lisa said...

Wow- so temporary, yes. I'm so sorry for your neighbor's loss. It's {only} a barn but that loss spills into your neighbor's real life and that can be tough- prayers are going out to them for sure.

This post is a great reminder that the only thing to hold steadfast, is His love.

As Patrick Swayze said in ghost, "It's amazing. The love. You take it with you" (I watched him last night on Dateline and he is SUCH an inspiration).

Suzie said...

So sorry your neighbors lost that beautiful barn. Beautiful words from you.

I actually heard someone talk about it on my scanner - almost like an ODOT snowplow or something. I sent up a prayer at that time.

Michelle said...

YIKES!

Shannon said...

Oh man...how will I ever know where to turn now? So sad and scary. I hope no animals were harmed.

kjenns said...

I have a thing for old red barns. They are beauty and a sign of a simplier time in life...so sad to see one more go away. I can feel your pain in the blog, Lindsay. Maybe we should hold "tight" for as long as we have it! Pryers!
Kellie

Jodi said...

So sorry to hear about the Red Barn-- they are such beautiful pieces of architecture on a farm. I sure hope no animals were harmed. Sounds like your day today may have been very tiring without any sleep. Keep your focus on what's {really} important in {your} Life - things that can't be bought. My Prayers are with you and your neighbors.

Anne said...

I was imagining our place without the landmark barns I grew up with. It made me sad. It is true that 'things' can always be replaced, however, isn't it amazing what stirs in our very soul: sights, sounds,smells.

A neighbors house in the valley burned down when I was a kid. I'll never forget watching them watch their house burn to the ground. It was a helpless feeling.

Monica said...

That photo of the barn looks like a postcard. I am thankful for the reminder, that we shouldn't take anything for granted.

Anonymous said...

Love your banner!

Katie said...

Oh my goodness....I take a few days off of blogging and I feel like I've missed so much!

So sorry about that wonderful barn....I hope noone was hurt! I'm glad the wind wasn't blowing!!

This was a great post....love the way you process your thoughts by putting them all down on the 'page'.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin