January 13, 2009

Dad~


60 years ago today, the world became a better place - and has been ever since.

People laugh a little more.

People joke a little more.

People pray a little more.

People try a little more.

People encourage a little more.

People worship God a little more.

People are blessed a little more.

Just because of YOU!


For 60 years, you've been a son.

For 58 years, you've been a brother.

For 36 years, you've been a husband.

For 32 {almost 33} years, you've been a dad.

For 4 years, you've been a {papa}.

For a lifetime you've been a gift!


You've taught me so many, many things about life & love ... I'm not even sure where to start.

* You taught me how to ride a bike.

* You taught me how to swing a golf club.

* You taught me how to shoot a basketball with my left hand with confidence.

* You taught me how to fish.

* You taught me how to swim.

* You taught me how to put up a tent in under 15 minutes.

* You taught me how to swing a bat.

* You taught me how to drive.

* You taught me how to mow a lawn - perfectly.

* You taught me how to be a friend.

* You taught me how to listen.

* You taught me how to pray.

* You taught me how to believe.

* You taught me how to practice what I preach.

* You taught me how to forgive.

* You taught me how to love.

* You taught me how to stand firm.


There is so much more I could add to the list. So many, many things I know are in my life because of you. And even though I used the word {taught} as if you've done it & I've learned it ... those are all things that you not only taught ... but you {teach} every day. The motto that I claim as my life goal ... {Live Simply. Expect Little. Give Much} ... that is YOU!

You're a man, a friend, a dad, a husband, a brother, a son, a teacher that is admired not for what you did ... but what you do! What you do behind closed doors. What you do when no one is looking. What you do when it's easier to walk away.

Your 60 years have been a legacy ... and it is my prayer that your legacy will live on ... forever!


Happy Birthday Dad!!
May your next trip around the sun be just as bright and bold as ever!



{Shine on} dad ~ SHINE ON!

19 comments:

Becky said...

Happy Birthday Lindsay's dad! =)
Wow Lindsay, what a great post! What a great father you have. have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Cliff!!! Lindsay, this is a great post honoring your great dad! You wrote such great things about him, and I think most of them are true from what I know as well. He is lucky to have the daughter in you that he has. Looks like a great party, wish I could have made it, but I was out in the middle of nowhere. Cliff, enjoy your day.

Tricia said...

Happy Birthday to your dad, Linds! Thanks for being able to put into words how "little girls" feel about their dads. I agree with you that dads are a gift, but I think you are a gift too! Have a great day! Thanks for being you.

Stacey said...

What a great tribute to your dad! You have a great way with words.

Anonymous said...

Linds~
You have such a wonderful way of expressing such great thoughts of your heart!
I teared up as I read your post ...... you truly have a wonderful father ...... and he is so proud of you .... both you and Kirsten!
Thanks for such an awesome tribute to your Dad on his 60th birthday!

Ronda said...

I truly am blessed to have your life touch mine. Thanks Gary. It's a fine day to have a birthday. May it be the happiest of all!

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Lindsay, I love what your mom said...beautiful post!

Stacy B said...

Happy 60th Gary! This post is quite a tribute to you!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday Gary!

Looks like such a great party!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday Gary!

Looks like such a great party!

Kirsten said...

Happy birthday dad! Ditto to all that Lindsay wrote! Love you!

ShelliGib said...

How sweet!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Lindsay. I pray that you know deep inside that you truly are a gift. The thoughts you pour out are gift. You have blessed my heart today. I pray God's richest Blessing upon you and your family.
You are precious gift.
Dad

Sweet Blessings said...

AMAZING...Your Dad, YOU, your family...the way you truly make words come to life...Your Dad definitely has a Legacy, and it all points to HIM! What a gift that you get to watch, admire, respect, & learn from such a great Man! Sweet blessings to you my friend...

Kristie said...

ok totally tearing up!! This is beautiful Linds!!

And Happiest Birthday to your Dad!!

Brooke said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNCLE GARY!!!! We Love you!!!!

Stacy said...

What a way to honor your dad! Looks like a day of celebrating a life well lived.

Katie said...

What an awesome tribute to your Daddy!

Beth said...

Great post! You can see what a special man he is in his smile! Great pictures!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin